It's Okay To Have Alone Time

Why Alone Time Is So Important

(Even though I hate it immensely).

108
Why Alone Time Is So Important
Photo by Sid Leigh on Unsplash

I'm writing this from my dorm room. The floor, actually. I'm sitting on a bin because my desk chair is piled high with God knows what. My bed is just covered in unfolded laundry. I slept in my friend's dorm yesterday because I didn't want to clean it. This article is late.

My time at college has been pretty short, but I keep thinking about how I've spent it. Don't get me wrong; going to the Courts and eating 20 chicken nuggets after getting home is a fantastic way to spend time. Even staying in, I find myself talking with friends until three in the morning.

Clearly, I love spending time with other people, but I don't know how to cut myself off. I'm always the last one to go to bed because I'm scared I'll miss something. I end up neglecting things I need to do at home (at dorm?) in favor of going out. This isn't new either; I would put so many things off in high school so I could have fun with my friends.

I doubt I can keep going like this, though. The mess in my room is just staring at me, built up from days of abandon. There are so many things in my life that could've been done quicker and easier had I addressed them when they popped up. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way either. Some part of this has probably resonated with you.

You don't want to miss out on anything, but you also don't want to let your personal "to-do" list get out of control. You want to make new friends, but struggle with balancing the time you give them and the time you leave for yourself.

My goal is to figure out how to stop indulging. Alone time is amazing. Time with friends is also amazing. Neither are good in excess. I realize that, but it's still hard for me to internalize those words and put them into practice. My friends will still be my friends even if I can't make it to CampCo for a night. It's more important my bed has sheets on it, I'm pretty sure.

I'm going to get off this bin and fold my laundry (which I also put off for too long). I think I'll go to bed before 3, too. Baby steps.