Sorority Life As Told By 'Gilmore Girls'

All you have to do is call our name, and we'll be there on the next train.

23

Being a member of a sorority comes with hundreds of new sisters, fun and responsibility. Our organizations are filled with love, laughter, highs and lows. Until they're in it, no one really understands it. The lovely ladies of "Gilmore Girls" depict sorority life like no other.

1. Grades come first.

You have a social Thursday, but a giant test Friday morning? See ya next time, girl. Your sisters will totally understand.

2. We're foodies.

Movies show sororities as shallow girls who never stop watching what they eat. What it's actually like: Hey me and 30 of my closest gal pals are on our way to see how much cheese dip we can eat in one sitting. We're college kids, if there's food, we will be there.

3. Caffeine, caffeine, caffeine.

We can't be this involved, have good grades, and still have free time without a little boost from our favorite coffee shop.

4. Hating the stereotype.

We are not the stereotype. I have over 200 sisters, and the typical "sorority girl" stereotype doesn't apply to any of them.

5. Have I introduced you to my boyfriend? His name is "the library."

Can't find us? There is a strong chance we're in the library studying, eating or both. It's our home away from home.

6. We help each other be the best versions of ourselves.

Follow your dreams; go on an adventure; tell that boy you like him; take a risk. We'll encourage you through it all.

7. We can't handle breaks without each other.

"OK, we have three months of not being at school together for the summer. That means I have over 90 days of keeping it together without you all."

8. My big? You mean my mom?

You only think you're going off to college without parental supervision! Your big is there to guide you, help you, and be a nurturing figure throughout this whole college process.

9. We're each others' biggest fans.

Whether you need someone to go over notes with or listen to you cry and give you advice through the bad times, your sisters will be there. We all just want to see each other succeed.

Thank you to the ladies of Delta Zeta, for showing me what it's like to really be in a sorority. (And thank you to Lorelai and Rory, of course, for being awesome.)