Sorority girls aren't always given the credit they're do.

Just Because I'm In A Sorority Doesn't Mean I'm A Rich Entitled Brat

Mommie and Daddy don't pay for everything.

393
Samantha Serbin

For those of you that don't know, it's the beginning of August and that can only mean one thing. Sorority recruitment is right around the corner. Last fall, I made one of the greatest decisions of my college experience and joined Gamma Phi Beta at the University of Florida. Mixed opinions roam rampant when it comes to Greek life. However, one of the biggest rumors is that all sorority girls are rich entitled brats. That could not be further from the truth.

Stereotypes can be true every now and then when it comes to any group of people. So of course there are girls that are prissy, and have mommy/daddy pay for everything. However, more often you will find girls that have jobs to pay their dues and their extra activities. We don't all own Kate Spades bags, Tory Burch shoes and Lily Pulitzer dresses. Most of us love Nike shorts, fraternity shirts and our white converse.

Close your eyes and imagine a sorority girl. I'm sure you imagined a prissy girl, with a high-pitched voice, complaining about something. When most people think of sorority girls, they think we're all bratty. Well, yet again, that's a lie. Most, if not all, of the sorority girls I have met throughout my three years at the University of Florida have been so sweet and so kind. If it's a facade, I would never know.

Sorority girls work hard to maintain their image, that's well known. But what isn't well known is their constant study habits, volunteer hours and dedication to their sisterhood. Most Greek organizations have a minimum required GPA. This means girls have to study hard to maintain good grades in order to continue being actively involved in their organization. Another highly encouraged activity is volunteering in the local community as well as volunteering for philanthropic events.

For example, my chapter has spent time at animal shelters, soup kitchens, and elementary schools. Lastly, these girls do all of these things while navigating a college experience. They coordinate their academic life, volunteer life and social life among many other aspects of their college career. They choose to be involved in their sisterhoods. They choose to spend their time this way. They wouldn't want to spend their four years any other way. These girls are (9 times out of 10) anything but rich entitled brats.