Don't Give Up On Sororities

Don't Give Up On Sororities

Find your family.

1006
Don't Give Up On Sororities
Marisa Sabino

Growing up, I always wanted to be in a sorority.

You see them portrayed in movies and on television as the coolest girls- the ones that everyone wants to be and be around. It wasn’t the popularity factor that interested me as much though, it was the closeness that these girls always exhibited. They were “sisters” and they were family. As an only child, I loved the idea of having sisters and being part of something special that was bigger than just me.

When I got to my first college, I couldn’t wait for rush to start.

I had been doing my research, and knew which sororities I could see myself being part of; I couldn’t wait to finally meet the girls that could fulfill my childhood aspiration with.

I learned quickly that it wasn’t as easy as just introducing yourself to the girls. Meeting them seemed so artificial, as if they were reading off scripts. It was evident from the beginning that they already had an idea in their head of who was joining and who was not. I was not part of this idea. This would have crushed my dreams of being in a sorority for good if I had not transferred.

At my new school I knew that the people were different- more friendly and genuine. My first semester I held out on the whole sorority thing, skeptical of the process for obvious reasons and wanting to time to adjust to my new school. I had accepted the title of a GDI, "god damn independent", and wore it with pride. As much as I was okay with this, I still knew that something was missing.

Fall of 2017, first semester of sophomore year, is when my mindset changed again. I was going through a lot of personal problems: family, love, and what felt like any other bad thing that could possibly happen to me. The allure of a group of sisters was slowly pulling me back in. I was desperate for at least some sort of stability, and I wanted a group of girl friends that I could depend on.

Soon after my curiosity was piqued one of my friends started to introduce me to some of her sorority sisters. The more sisters I met, the more I realized that I was having real conversations and making real connections. I couldn’t help but think that this was what I always envisioned a sorority being like- real.

I had never received so much support and unwavering kindness from people whom I barely even knew as soon as I joined.

For the first time in a while I felt secure, confident, and surrounded by people that truly cared about me. This feeling has only multiplied as time has gone on, and I'm not sure what I would do without my sisters. In such a short amount of time I have made friends that I can already see myself being friends with forever, and I think that's pretty amazing. No matter what preconceptions, bad experiences, or doubts that you have- give sorority life one more shot.

Behind all of the crafting and glitter, there is a second family waiting to give you all of the love that they have.