I'm NEVER Complaining Again, Because Sophomore Year At Baylor Was A TRUE #Blessing

Because it's four-point-oh season, and so much more!!!

290
Macy Scott

My sophomore year of college was nine months of pure magic. I've turned in my last exam of the semester, packed up (way too many) boxes, and returned to my cozy home in Louisiana. Being away from the enchanting bubble that is Baylor University for the last week has allowed me to look back at the memories I made over the past months. And one thing keeps popping in my mind.

God is so good.

It's so easy to be bogged down by a minor inconvenience in life or feel discouraged when something doesn't go as planned. I'm too guilty of my short patience causing me to feel irritated when I don't accomplish a goal or get frustrated when I let myself or others down. But the other day, I was complaining to my mom about a fruitless aggravation that I can't even remember at this second, and my sweet mother basically hushed me with a reminder to count my blessings.

And I have so, so many.

Because looking back at my sophomore year, it would be impossible to list everything that I'm thankful for. I received my dream position, Academics Chair, on Executive Council for my dream sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha. I've been able to give back to my sisters and connect with new friends that I know I'll have for a lifetime. It's been a blessing being surrounded by women who push me to be a better version of myself.

I was inducted into Pi Delta Phi, the French honors society, after pouring countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears into my upper-level French classes. This notable blessing in my first minor has motivated me to pick up an additional minor in Sociology and further my interest in global social issues.

Even with two minors and my major, my academic advisor reassured me that I will almost certainly and easily still graduate on time in May 2020 (and I only have to take 13 hours every semester until I get my diploma!!).

After days and days of being locked in the library on campus, I finished sophomore year while maintaining an overall GPA of 4.0 (yes, a four-point-oh!!!). There were nights I cried in the library, typed until the wee hours of the morning, and learned more facts than I thought my brain could hold. But I kept my straight "A"s at Baylor University for TWO YEARS in a row. God has pushed me to achieve academic success, and oh wow, looking at my transcript is such a blessing.

An incredible, seriously awesome opportunity that I received is becoming Editor-in-Chief of this platform, Odyssey. Becoming a writer exactly two years ago, growing to be a contributing editor many months ago, and finally, reaching the status of Editor-in-Chief in January has been a humbling and rewarding experience. I have seen my own thoughts grow exponentially, and I have the incredible ability to aid others who share this passion for writing. My writers mean the world to me, and my family and friends on social media who continuously read, support, and encourage this passion I've had since I was six-years-old are tremendous blessings in my life.

Oh God, my friends. A blessing that stains my cheeks with tears from being separated from them for the summer.

Following finals, I went on a spontaneous road trip to Austin, Texas with a few of my close friends. Reflecting on my mini-vacation and an entire year filled with constant laughter, silly dance moves, consistent study sessions, singing over the radio, late-night talks, spirited football games, ice-cream runs, hilarious group chats, and a few unbelievable memories that we'll tell our kids someday, I know God has brought these blessings in my life for a reason.

I know for a fact that my friends who made my sophomore year so amazing are the men/crazy "uncles" who my future kids will beg to babysit them, and the incredible and trusting women/sisters who will undoubtedly be my future bridesmaids.

And for the icing on the beautiful, creamy, and delicious cake that was my sophomore year, I was practically handed a job for the summer in my hometown within 24 hours of returning to my Louisiana city.

So, my mom was right.

Whatever petty, stupid, meaningless annoyance that passed through my mind a few days ago meant literally nothing, because I am the definition of #blessed. My dream-like positions, honors societies, academic success, supportive loved ones, always-right mom, and best friends make every breath worth it.

If you're going through a rough patch right now, or if nothing seems right in the world, all you have to do is have hope and pray. Deuteronomy 28:2 says "You will experience all these blessings if you obey the Lord your God." Close your eyes and pray, right now. Ask Him to heal your troubles. He, above all, will be there for you.

Because, heck, I'm just little ole' Macy. I'm just a little short, overly-energetic teenage girl from Louisiana who's honestly been through a lot of trauma and really bad stuff. But God has blessed ME with, TBH, the best year of my life.

My sophomore year of college was, seriously, nine months of pure magic.

No, no, I take that back.

It was nine months of the evident, extraordinary, and REAL works of God, because having GOD in my life has been the GREATEST BLESSING of all.

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope" - Jeremiah 29:11