15 Songs That Do Wonders For My Mental Health

I absolutely adore music and the power it is has to change our moods.

168

I absolutely adore music and the power it has to change our moods. Any time I listen to a Michael Buble song, my mood instantly improves. I decided to compile a list of some songs that just help improve my mental health. These are some songs that pick me up when I'm down. Fair warning: I listen to quite a bit of pop music and show tunes. Some of them are throwbacks and are definitely silly, and some are more modern. Some of them you will probably know, some of them you may not know. I hope they'll help you, too.

1. "Worth Fighting For" by Emily Hearn

You may have heard this song on "The Foster's." It is one of my absolute favorites. This song reminds me that I'm worth fighting for and life has meaning. You can check out this song on iTunes or here on YouTube.

2. "It's a Beautiful Day" by Michael Buble

You can never go wrong with Buble. This song reminds me how great it is to be independent and feel empowered. The music video is full of energy, too!

3. "Go the Distance" from "Hercules"

There has to be at least one Disney song on this list, let's be real. This song makes me feel like I can do absolutely anything. It reminds me that everyone is chasing a dream and that we should do everything we can to support each other. Go watch "Hercules" or watch the music video here. There are lots of great covers of this song, too!

4. "Bruises" by Train featuring Ashley Monroe

This song makes me remember that everyone has struggles and experiences that hurt them, but they make for good connection. Watch the music video here.

5. "A Million Dreams" from "The Greatest Showman"

This song encourages me to keep dreaming and makes me think about all of the things I want to accomplish. Pasek and Paul are exceptional composers who also wrote "Dear Evan Hansen" and the lyrics to the songs of "La La Land." If you haven't seen this movie, you should change that as soon as you can. Here's the song.

6. "You Will Be Found" from "Dear Evan Hansen"

"You are not alone" is the line that sticks with me most from this song. This song from Pasek and Paul's "Dear Evan Hansen" is beautiful in its simple reminder that looking out for each other means everything. Check out the song here.

7. "Let Go" by Frou Frou

When I listen to this song, I love the idea that there is "beauty in the breakdown." There's no shame in feeling deeply, and this song encourages me to do so. Check it out here or you might hear it in the movie "The Holiday."

8. "So Yesterday" by Hilary Duff

Yes, this is on the list. We can't forget this masterpiece that was every teenage girl's anthem at one point given to us by none other than vintage Hilary Duff. Sometimes things aren't as a big of a deal as they seem and with time seem "so yesterday." Here is the song.

9. "Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson

This song just makes me happy and reminds me that love is the most powerful force we have. Everyone just wants to be loved. You can hear this song here.

10. "Move Along" by The All-American Rejects

This is definitely a throwback. This song reminds me not to dwell on things that don't matter. Here it is if you need a refresher.

11. "Silly Love Songs" by Wings and Paul McCartney

Released in 1976, this feel-good tune keeps me believing in love. Check it out here.

12. "Raise Your Glass" by P!nk

This song is incredibly empowering and declares that its OK to be unique. If you're "too school for cool," check out the song here. "Perfect" is also a worthy tune that is definitely on a longer list I have.

13. "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin, John Turner, and Geoffrey Parsons

This is another one of those songs that reminds to keep moving along when I'm down. It's been covered by a whole host of artists, but an instrumental version was initially written by Chaplin himself with lyrics added later. You can find it here.

14. "No One" by Aly & AJ

A blessing from Aly & AJ's early career, I love how inspiring this song is. It makes me happy just to be me and makes me think about how good I have it. You can listen to the song from these sisters here.

15. "Beautiful City" by Stephen Schwartz from "Godspell"

I adore the musical "Godspell." Stephen Schwartz is my all-time favorite composer, and I love the hope he brings to life in this hauntingly gorgeous song. This song makes me feel hope for the world, as rare as that might be right now. Here's the new Broadway cast recording from the musical revival.

There are many other songs on my list, but I hope that these give you some ideas for an inspirational playlist. I'm always looking for recommendations, too. Music provides such a wonderful escape and lifts our spirits.