Some Advice For My Sister On Her Birthday

I have some things I'd like to tell you.

41
Pinterest.com

Dear Kenna,

This year you are turning seventeen years old. That's kind of an overwhelming age. You have one more year of being a minor and yet, people will expect you to start making adult goals. When school goes back in session you will be a senior in high school. Does that sound right to you? Well, knowing you, you've been ready to graduate ever since you started public school. I was the same way. And don't forget, this is the year that you are the dancing queen. If you're not getting the reference, think back to when you were little and listened to ABBA's best hits CD to go to sleep to. "You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen." There aren't any songs I can think of that have the age twenty in it. BORING!

Anyways, I know this article is a little late, but I would like to give some advice to you, or any other seventeen year-old who might happen upon this article. I hope that you enjoy this last year as a minor. Because pretty soon you'll be thrown out into the world of much less enjoyable things, like the dreaded R word (responsibilities) and deadlines that have nothing to do with schoolwork. If I could go back in time and change one thing about my senior year, it would be to not stress out so much. I could have saved myself so many headaches and sleepless nights and crying fits if I just understood that everything would turn out okay in the end. I had such great expectations for myself that fell short and I didn't need to do that.

While I do hope you enjoy your time being a kid, I also don't want you to buy into the crap of "you're gonna miss these days" "best years of your life" blah blah blah. I know you're not having the best of times at school and if you're anything like me you will want to jet rocket out of that place as soon as you get the opportunity. I used to spend so much time hanging onto my bitterness that some people had a better time/childhood than me. I've learned to let it go. I'm not saying you're gonna be able to let it go anytime soon, I just hope you will be able to let it go one day.

Your momma loves you a lot. More than I ever realized at your age. As I'm writing this I am actually missing her quite a bit. When you're angry or caught up in the drama of everyone around you, try to remember that. We're all she's really got in terms of good friends. So try not to hurt her feelings on the way out as I am afraid I did.

I will always be here for you. We may be far apart right now, and maybe we'll be like that for awhile, but I am only a call or text away. I don't mind it. If I had all the money in the world I'd buy a private jet just to be able to come visit you when you're feeling sad and/or someone was mean to you. I don't know much about this life or this world but I want to help you in any way that I can. I love you so much and can't wait until we are together again.

Happy birthday pookie.