Small Town Seniors to Big City Freshman

Small Town Seniors to Big City Freshman

Life changes when you leave "the Bubble"

32
Small Town Seniors to Big City Freshman
the Odyssey

When I say I'm from a small town, I mean SMALL. My little home is 3 miles by 3 miles. So when I came to college in Philadelphia, life changed a lot for me.

First off, if you're a senior in high school coming to a city for college, get excited. FINALLY, you won't have to drive an hour and a half to get to the action. You won't have to miss out on concerts, sports games, festivals and fairs. There's always something going on (especially in the fall and spring).

But, it's nice to go home and get away from the bustle of a city. Being able to go back home and see people you know is really comforting. I go to school 4 to 5 hours away from my hometown, making it harder for me to go home for weekends, but easy for me to get home when I have longer breaks. Honestly, it's a great thing that I don't go home often because I get to explore Philly and all the city has to offer.

The city has definitely helped me grow. I use public transportation now (woah what) and I do a lot of things on my own. My newfound independence comes with college in general. Your friends have classes when you don't. It's nice to do things on your own. I've always been somewhat independent, but college has definitely helped me be able to do a lot of things on my own.

I came here to Philly knowing 2 other people from my high school. This seems scary, but it's probably one of the best things I've ever done. When I see either of those girls, of course I say hi, but basically coming here on my own has helped me to find people that I really connect with, without the pressure of maintaining relationships with the people from home that are here as well. I know a lot of people pick the same schools and love it, but I think picking a school that I love that was outside of New England is one of the best decisions I've ever made.