Slow Down in Life
Lifestyles

Slow Down...Trust Me

Take a step back, slow down and enjoy the present ...It's totally okay.

100
Slow Down...Trust Me
https://pixabay.com/en/summerfield-woman-girl-sunset-336672/

Today, we live in a world that is more connected than ever, but also at a point where everyone is more stressed, depressed, and unstable. Social media has caused us to chase images that seem "perfect," but also influence this idea of the "grind." Constantly trying to go 120%, and move onto the next meeting, event, or project to get us closer to our goal. However, technology and media has created an environment where we miss the present, appreciating the now, which includes memories, feelings, and people.

Mental health and our overall being needs the present, needs the moment where we slow down and truly admire the world around us. The pause of life can create realizations about your surroundings and yourself, while also giving your mind and body the chance to recover from your constant "go-go" attitude.

Don't let life pass you by before you can truly enjoy it.

1. Be Present

Slowing down does not matter if you aren't fully aware and attentive. No thinking about what's going on next, or tomorrow. Fully being in the moment, listening to who is talking, seeing a view with its entire beauty, taking the second to feel a deep crisp breath through your lungs. Focus on the now.

2. Cut Down

The people who can't slow down are often up to their necks in work and activities. Constantly taking new opportunities without finishing previous ones, wearing out their mind and body too thin. You can't slow down if you are doing a million things. Instead, evaluate. Focus on what is important, and what can positively influence your day and life.

3. Detach

Turn off the phone, the computer, anything that will distract you from truly slowing down. Focus on other things without the possibilities of things to ruin those moments. The phone will always be there when you go back. Unwind, detach, let go of it.

4. Appreciate the Connections 

No doubt that you've walked into a place where friends or family are gathered, whether yours or a stranger's, and they are all glued to their phones. They feel connected all being on the device, rather than enjoying each other's company. They are physically there, but not mentally. Shut the outside world of and put the device away. Spend the time to be present and attentive to the people you are with. These types of moments create stronger relationships, and can go a long way in the future of your life by having genuine connections.

5. Drive Slow 

Especially closer to cities, driving recklessly and speedy is a habit. Needing to get to their destination as quick and efficient as possible, but could possibly put other people at risk or causing more stress in the end. Appreciate the surroundings, put some music on, taking the time to be by yourself and just relax. The drive will be more enjoyable and safer.

6. The Little Pleasures 

Being present can cause you to enjoy the little pleasures of life if you let it. Fully present, watching, observing, connecting. Whether it is the clouds in the sky, the rays of sun on your face, the laughter of friends and family, being present allows you to appreciate the little things. Life can be so much brighter and happier, by creating a simple habit of finding pleasures in small things.

Slowing down is a good habit to have, especially if you are the type of person to always be putting in 120%. You can learn so much about the world and yourself, while also maintaining good mental health.