A letter to my best friend/sister
Family Friends

To My Sister Who Also Doubles as My Best friend

Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

410

Dear Big Sis,

Mom and dad always tell us how when I was born you thought they were bringing home a doll for you. I may not be your doll, but at least you gained a best friend. It's surreal to me how you are 21 and graduate from college next year. I know you are obsessed with the west coast, but just know I will always be here for you no matter where you live. We are family and family is forever.

The day you chose to go to The University of Arizona was the day I knew I was going to go there as well. There is no way I can be away from you for that long. Every time I'm upset, I know I can come to you. I tell you everything about my life from boys to grades to drama. Thank you for fighting my battles for me, helping me with my homework and not judging me on anything I do that you may not agree with. Mom has always told us that "friends come and go, but family is forever" and I stick by that when obstacles come in the way.

I don't think you understand how happy it makes me when you come over to my apartment at school and lie on my bed with me and we just laugh for 12 hours straight about nothing, send funny pictures to mom and dad and watch shows like "Toddlers & Tiaras". You know how much I love home and even just knowing you are there puts a smile on my face. When most people go to college, they are in a new place with new people. Luckily for me, I had you to teach me everything I needed to know and always have you as a guide and a best friend.

We may fight, but it will never ruin our friendship. From wearing each other's clothes to eating each other's food there is nothing we don't fight about. That is what makes us family. We are only one year apart so we disagree on multiple things and are competitive with one another. We are so similar yet so different. You are way more social, a huge partier, loud, a procrastinator, a night owl and I am quieter (with strangers), punctual, and an early bird. We are partners in crime in all situations and work together as a team to balance each other out.

No one knows you like I do and no one knows me like you do. At home I am a lot crazier than people think and am the funny one in our family. You laugh when people tell you that I am "shy" because you're the only one that knows the real me. We have so many inside jokes that I couldn't tell anyone but you or else they would think I'm insane. And your friends may always think of you as put together and well-mannered, but to me you are the girl who sleeps on the couch all day and spills all over herself. That is what makes you, you and I love you for all your quirks and embarrassing moments.

Ever since we were little, I have looked up to you. It made it easier for our parents when every time you moved on to a new chapter of your life, I moved on with you. When you started potty training, it didn't take me long to learn from you, so mom and dad didn't even have to teach me. I admire you for everything you do. I have always wanted to dress like you, wear makeup like you and do the same activities as you. Except there were some exceptions like when you stopped playing barbies and I forced you to play with me up until the age of 10.

I know I get mad at you every time you tell me I am wrong, but you are the only person that is allowed to tell me the truth even when it hurts. I know I get cranky a lot and when I pick arguments with mom or friends you get mad at me and tell me when it's my fault. Of course, I don't listen to you because I think I'm right, but you are honest with me and I love you for that. If you always took my side, then I wouldn't know how to accept being wrong. You inspire me to be a better person. I'm tough when it comes to friends, but you can read me like a book and can tell when someone has rubbed me the wrong way or hurt my feelings. When that happens, you are right by my side and wouldn't mind picking a fight if you knew it would make me happy.

We have experienced life together and since I was born, I have had you as a role model. I know that we are both growing up and in a year, who knows where you will be. I want you to know that I will forever have your back and am excited to be the Maid of Honor at your wedding someday. Thank you for not only being the best big sister out there, but for being my better half and my best friend.

Love,

Your Baby Sis

Kara Lipson