10 Shows to Binge While in Quarantine

10 Shows to Binge While in Quarantine

Take a look at some of my favorite shows that will keep your mind at at least some ease throughout these tough times.

37
10 Shows to Binge While in Quarantine
Photo by Amateur Hub from Pexels

Amid the daily updates we have all been subsequently subjected to about the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, we all need something lighthearted to balance it all out. For me, my constant escape from my own reality is and will always be sitting eating junk food and watching back-to-back episodes for hours at a time. In addition, since many states such as my hometown California and Illinois are on a two week quarantine and the rest of us are social distancing, we have some time on our hands. I have composed a list of some shows that will go great for both entertaining and distracting you from all the news and professor emails you're dealing with. All shows that are listed can be found on streaming platforms: Netflix, Hulu and HBO Now.

1. Locke and Key (Netflix)

Following their father's murder, three siblings move into a house filled with reality-bending keys; from the comics by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. (Quoted from its Google page) Though there is only one season of this 2020 fantasy/mystery Netflix original show, it pulls you into a story that has never been told before in any other show. I watched this back in the fall and I would recommend it because it requires you to focus. That way you're be able to be off your phone for a bit

2. Sex Education (Netflix)

If you are into vulgar comedy shows, Sex Education is perfect for you. Its second season was released last year and it has a lot of laughs and even cringe moments to offer. The show revolves around a high school student named Otis and his best friend (and my favorite character) Eric and how though he has never had sex himself, Otis is surprisingly an expert at giving advice to his peers on the subject. This show is both funny and has tons of representation at the same time, I'd recommend this show during any time.

3. On My Block (Netflix)

This show is probably a dead give away for those of you who have already watched it." 'On My Block' follows a quartet of bright, street-savvy friends who are navigating their way through high school, including all the of the triumph, pain and newness they experience along the way. Lifelong friendships are tested as Monse, Ruby, Jamal and Cesar confront the challenges of adolescence and life in their predominantly Hispanic and black neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles in this coming-of-age comedy series," from its Goggle page. Though I can admit the first season of the show can be a bit cringe, it is a show that you will grow to love. This show will give you summer vibes despite being stuck in the house.

4. Keeping up with the Kardashians (Hulu)

Whether you love or hate the Kardashian family you can't help but hear something about them, including their long-running reality TV show that usually comes on the E! channel. All seasons not including the newest ones are now available on Hulu, and will be a rest for your brain as you binge hundreds of episodes of how the Kardashians live. I've been loving my binge of this show especially because it truly gives your mind an escape. Even if you absolutely can't stand the Kardashians, for whatever reason that may be, you can still enjoy the show and it will distract you from pretty much anything.

5. Game of Thrones ( HBO Now)

I can honestly go on and on, on how great this show is and I can definitely confirm all the hype you've probably heard about "Game of Thrones" already. Game of Thrones is based off of George R.R. Martin's best-selling book series "A Song of Ice and Fire." If you are a fan of reading you can even start by reading the series but, if you're like me and like to read but like not for real for real, I say watch this eight season show. It's the depiction of two powerful families -- kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and honest men -- playing a deadly game for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. Who will end up sitting in the Iron Throne? Start binge watching now to find out.

6. Broad City (Hulu)

"Broad City" is a critically acclaimed five season show that is absolutely hilarious. I first started to binge this show that originally comes on Comedy Central, sometime in the fall as well, and it was definitely a stress relieve for me during my very difficult first semester of my sophomore year. "It's created by and stars Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer as 20-something best friends who are trying to navigate life in New York, despite that their adventures always seem to lead down unexpected and bizarre paths," from its Goggle page. This show is a great depiction of two completely different women who are one of the most interesting best friend duo on TV right now.

7. Steven Universe (Hulu)

This Cartoon Network show, that recently released a movie of the show, is one of my favorite cartoons of all time. The creator of the show, Rebecca Sugar found a way to make characters, mainly those that are named after real-life gems, so relatable and that you end up absolutely falling in love with. The show follows the kind-hearted and loyal Steven, who soon finds out he is no normal boy, but a half gem, half human buy. As he discovers his new found powers he is guided by both his dad Greg Universe and the Crystal Gems, made up of Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst. Four seasons of this great show is found on Hulu, and still comes on today on Cartoon Network. New episodes titled "Steven Universe Future," is a spin-off of the same show just following Steven as he goes through all the changes he faced during the other seasons. Please, please,please go check this how out!

8. Shrill (Hulu)

"A struggling young journalist is determined to change her life without changing her body. While dealing with an unreliable boyfriends, sick parents and a perfectionist boss, she begins to understand that she's just as good as everyone else," from its Google page. As a future journalist myself finding this Hulu original show was amazing. Aidy Bryant, who is the star of the show, makes a very good attempt at showcasing a very realistic life of a regular young woman of today. Though I can't fully relate to every struggle she faces throughout its two seasons, I feel that it will appeal to a wide range of viewers. On top of that, it will give you a pretty good laugh while doing it.

9. Living Single (Hulu)

If you are a die hard fan of the household named show called "Friends" you must check out the show it's based off, or practically stole from the iconic "Living Single." All five seasons of this show can be found on Hulu and will entertaining you just as much if not more than its successor Friends. The show follows six black 20-somethings -- four women and two men -- share their lives and loves in a Brooklyn brownstone. A trio of women share one of the apartments, receiving frequent visits from a fourth pal; meanwhile, two men who've been friends for years share an apartment one floor up. As they manage to suffer the New York lifestyle, with many loves and crazy adventure along the way, the show offers a classic feel that is also quite funny. Binge watching this show is real easy and will for sure get your mind off of anything going on.

10. Last Chance U (Netflix)

For those who are absolutely dying of boredom due to the lost of their love;sports, I have a show that will bring you to the edge of your feet almost as much as actually sporting events have before. This Netflix original show follows junior college football athletes that are on banking on this time to get them to Division I or Division II schools and hopefully one day to the NFL. In five seasons the series follows college football teams that aren't major programs and don't get much national attention. Its main schools that it follows is East Mississippi Community College, which has won several NJCAA national titles, the reality series shifts its focus to Independence Community College. If you love sports and know how it can be a true escape for millions of people this show will for sure do the same for you.