What’s the Point of Short-Term Mission Trips?

During trips, you see first-hand how powerful God is, and how important prayer can be.

1614
Photo by Omar Lopez on Unsplash

This is a response to What Short-Term Mission Trips Have Taught Me.

It’s easy to think of God’s plan simply in terms of what He does for us as individuals. Sure, we know there’s something bigger going on, but that’s easily forgotten in our day-to-day lives.

Short-term mission trips remind us that God is at work in all of the world. They let us see more of the things that stir His heart. They let us see the spiritual needs of other nations.

Going on mission trips knowing that we would serve people elsewhere, but in the process, God does a great work in our own lives. we deepened dependence on him, our greater sense of purpose will ripple through the rest of their lives and in the lives of those around them.

Of course the focus of a mission trip is usually to share Jesus’ good news with others. But the experience of living in community, learning about cultures, and talking about the gospel daily make a profound effect on participants too.

We grow the most when we are out of our comfort zones, and short-term trips are a great opportunity for this. Short-term mission trips require you to be flexible, humble, patient and gracious, while learning to navigate a new place and a new culture.Maybe God is calling you to participate in a mission trip next year. If you do, we can’t promise exactly how you’ll be impacted, but we know that God is the one who changes hearts and lives.

I have learned that the nations are unique and beautiful, revealing values important to God such as hospitality or passion, yet most people are missing the thing that matters most: knowing God. I learned how deeply he cares for these people, whether they see it or not.

I also learned that I cannot do anything on my own apart from God, and that I can’t control people’s responses to the gospel. On every trip I have been reminded of God’s power.

I met so many incredible people during my trip, and I would have missed out if it weren’t for the Lord orchestrating a plan that was better than my own.

You get to witness the tremendous faith that the people you go to serve have in the Lord and that encourages you in your faith. The blessing that you will be to the people you serve will be multiplied back to you 10, 20, 100 fold in your life when you return.