A Drive To Unwind

A Drive To Unwind

Stop at the red light, turn at the corner of second street - your thoughts come second to the motions.

26
A Drive To Unwind

Keys in the ignition, the familiar thrum of the engine roaring to life, and whatever you were last listening to starts to play from the speakers. You take a minute, click your seatbelt into place, scrolling through your phone for the perfect song to start the night. It'll be something you know all the words to, something to make this drive special, exciting, even though you've heard it a million times. You place your house keys and wallet down carefully next to you, then adjust your glasses. The sky outside is turning a purplish hue, streaked with pretty flecks of orange and pink.

Blinker on to the left, then you pull out on to the street. At this time the block is all yours, and you know most people are closed into the formidable brownstones that line your street, starting dinner or maybe putting on a movie for the night. You'll see a dog owner and their dog, probably, taking their last stroll before the sun disappears completely from the sky. You can feel the car around you shudder forward as you place your foot down on the gas, taking a moment to gain speed. The window is cracked and you can feel a sliver of wind lift the hair off of the back of your neck, setting off an eruption of goosebumps down your back.

You circle the city, your city, the rhythmic routine of driving lulling you into a meditation of sorts. The sun continues to slip down below the buildings until it is nothing but an orange smear on the horizon. You hope that maybe someone is watching you, feeling that nostalgic feeling you get when you see a car drive by on a summer night, windows cracked, the stereo blasting a song you love. Everyone knows that car, the one you wish you could jump into, the one you are sure is about to set off on a great adventure.

Stop at the red light, turn at the corner of second street - your thoughts come second to the motions. The energy of the drive thrums through the leather steering wheel into your hands. You feel powerful. You think about your life, clearheaded.

The sun sets, and it is dark.