Top 6 Song's from Shawn Mendes: The Album

My Top 6 Songs From Shawn Mendes' Self-Titled Album

Shawn Mendes (n.) - The only talented being to come from Magcon.

437

Shawn Mendes is the only true talented being to come from the monstrosity that was Magcon. I still shudder in fear thinking about Magcon and the untalented group of boys that young girls would spend their parents' hard-earned money to see. However, we do have to thank Magcon for bringing us the Canadian heartthrob that is Shawn Mendes.

In his first two albums, Shawn provided us with heartfelt songs accompanied by his acoustic guitar. This time, he decided to try something a little different and give us a new sound while still sticking with who he is as an artist. Today, I have decided to give you a list of my top 6 favorite songs from this album, and my favorite/the most meaningful lyric from each song.

I will rank them from my sixth choice to my favorite track.

6. "Perfectly Wrong"

If you want a good cry, listen to this song. I will shamelessly admit that I cried listening to this song for the first time. We hear about how Shawn wants to be with this person, but he knows that they were meant to be apart because it's for the better. However, he has already fallen in love with this person making it hard for him to end the relationship. Honestly, this is one of his saddest songs to date.

MOST MEANINGFUL LYRIC: Oh, and why can't I quit / When you break my heart open / I need you more than I know.

5. "Fallin' All In You"

This song perfectly showcases the feeling of being in love for the first time in a while. He talks about how this person is making him feel like a different, yet better, version of himself, allowing him to be himself freely. When I first heard this song I immediately knew Ed Sheeran had some involvement in the writing process. I came to find out Ed actually has a writer credit on this song. After finding that out, I was kind of disappointed it wasn't a collaboration between the two, because it would've made this song just that much better. Nonetheless, I really enjoy the vibe and lyrics of this song.

FAVORITE LYRIC: You are bringing out a different kind of me / There's no safety net that's underneath / I'm free / Falling all in you

4. "Particular Taste"

This is one of the more upbeat songs of the album. He sings about a girl he's interested in (or obsessed with, as he says). He talks about all her quirks and how she likes everything her way. He also describes her as aloof by saying "she's the best at get ya thinkin' that she don't care". She's also leading Shawn in a chase after her which he strangely likes. I really like the sound of this song as it's a step away from his normal 'acoustic aesthetic'.

FAVORITE LYRIC: Ooh, she'll take your name and number / Then she'll hit erase and walk away

3. "Queen"

When the tracklist for this album was released, I jokingly said that this song was written about me, because I call myself a queen (because I mean, hello...). However, when I finally listened to this song, I was so wrong. Shawn talks about this girl who always pretends not to know him, and is basically just being a whole bitch and a half. Some may say that he snapped in this song, and I agree. Shawn proves that he knows how to shade people with this song.

FAVORITE LYRIC: Making beautiful look ugly / You ain't the ruler of no country / Who made you the queen?

2. "Lost In Japan"

This was the second single to be released. This is easily my second favorite song. The idea of wanting to be with someone so bad, that you casually hop on a plane to Japan just to spend time with them. The music in the song is very lax, giving it a tone that reminds me of summer. Not to mention the hints of a Justin Timberlake vibe we get with this song. Shawn sounds so smooth in this song, further showcasing the new sound he's adopting.

FAVORITE LYRIC: Do you got plans tonight? / I'm a couple hundred miles from Japan, and I / I was thinking I could fly to your hotel tonight

1. "Where Were You In The Morning?"

This song was released fourth, after Youth. Despite the sadness expressed in the lyrics, this song is my ultimate favorite from this album. It's something between his voice and the sound of the song that sends me to the moon. He sings with a falsetto for most of the song, which is new for him. Basically, Shawn's overnight guest (wink wink) gave him the wrong impression and left in the morning before he woke up. This song shows his pain and confusion. Personally, I don't get who would do that to someone like Shawn Mendes, but that's just me.

FAVORITE LYRIC: I hope you had a good reason / 'Cause I know you had a good time / And I'm looking up at the ceiling / And I keep wondering why

This is easily my favorite body of work Shawn Mendes has released to date and I'm looking forward to his future creations and works as I expect to see growth and change with each album released.