Seven Ways to Keep Your Wardrobe Looking Fresh to Death

How to up your style game without going broke

96
Bustle

Fashion is without a doubt my favorite creative medium. It’s wearable art and that is exactly how I treat my clothing. While I don’t have unlimited income to be dripping in Vintage Chanel and Givenchy just yet, I do take care of what I have so that I’m prepared for my dream wardrobe.

You don’t have to have a ton of money to look good. It can be challenging for this concept to permeate; a combination of planned obsolescence, what I like to call “fashion ADD” and with fast fashion rapidly cranking out with newer, shinier things every five minutes it’s easy to feel out of the loop and less than cool with your existing wardrobe.

Coming from a lower income background but still wanting to look stylish I know better than anyone how make it look you have a new outfit every single day. With a little creativity you too can make your wardrobe look brand spanking new.

1. Actually pay attention to wash instructions

I know, I know it's so much easier to just throw everything into the machine on the same setting and just press the button but this level of laziness is what ruins clothes. Whether it's a $300 dress from Saks or a $30 dress from Forever 21 if you treat your clothing with respect, they'll last longer. If something says delicate wash it on that setting, if something requires hand washing, wash it by hand, if it needs to be dry cleaned DO. NOT. THROW. IT. IN. THE. MACHINE! Please for the love of God spend the extra $2 and get it cleaned professionally. Even if you make mistakes (we're only human) if you ruin a garment at least have the good sense to get rid of it, don't try to wear something that's wrecked beyond repair.

2. Pay attention to fit

Just because a piece of clothing will go on your body doesn't mean it fits well. One of the most certain signs of a bad piece of clothing is an ill-fitting one. Part of a polished, grown up wardrobe is owning pieces that skim the frame in a way that is flattering.

3. Have a good tailor on standby

This goes hand in hand with number two. While I firmly believe that people should purchase things that already fit; if it's an otherwise solid piece and needs a small tweak such as a new zipper, a good hemming or to be taken in an inch or two it's worth it to have a good working relationship with a tailor. If a piece needs minor adjustments, there's no need to toss it just yet just get a repair and it'll be good as new.

4. Learn to love your steamer

Wrinkles in clothing look sloppy. Wrinkly, tattered clothes give a disheveled, worn out look to a piece that could really shine with some TLC. There's no getting around it. If you're like me and hate ironing, steaming is a good compromise. If you don't own a steamer, invest in one.

5. Get creative with how you pair things

Make a regular practice once a month of challenging yourself to come up with new looks. Take a piece you love and try pairing it five different ways. This is not only a fun way to mix and match but it's a way of shopping without ever having to reach in your wallet.

6. Lean towards classic

Trends come and go more rapidly than ever these days. No one wants to be a walking billboard of cliches. You may really want those Lisa Frank leggings or that "As If" tee-shirt (because you know, the 90s have been making a come back for the last 6 years) but one day, inevitably those things will be relics of another time (as they once were a few years ago). Fashion is a fickle minded beast but certain looks are timeless enough to look cool in any decade. Instead of owning a collection of platform jellies, get some nice black or tan leather sandals, instead of an entire closet full of stone-washed, high-waisted denim, invest in mid-rise well-made dark jeans that go with everything. It's okay to get a few fun, statement pieces but by no means should they comprise your whole wardrobe.

7. Update your accessories

The easiest way to jazz up a simple look is to accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. If your look is classic add a cool pair of sunnies or a funky patterned scarf. Accessories are where you can really shine and the beauty of them is the fact that they're a relatively inexpensive way to add flair to all you wear.