I Almost Didn't Do My Senior Show, But I'm Glad I Did

I Almost Didn't Do My Senior Show, But To This Day, I'm So Glad I Did

The theatre world can be a crazy place

31
https://unsplash.com/photos/WW1jsInXgwM

When I was in high school, I went to a performing arts school for Musical Theatre & Drama. Our last show my senior year was "Big Fish" and I desperately wanted to be the witch. Now in a senior class of 15, our directors knew everybody. At our school, it was very rare that a senior didn't get a callback, but during this show, I was that one senior who didn't get a callback. That really hurt, especially because I had worked so hard to try and get a good role in this last show. I mean it was my senior year, who wouldn't want to be able to get that. But in the end, the cards were not in my favor and I ended up getting other random parts throughout the show.

I was still really hurt by this though, I had poured my heart into this place for four years and I didn't even get the chance to try and show them that I could do that role. I think that was the hardest part. Because of all of this and everything that happened, I felt completely thrown under the bus and I was ready to quit and not do this show. I even went to the first rehearsal where they give you the layout of who is going to be in what scenes and numbers. Especially after this rehearsal, I felt even more devastated because I was in the number for the character that I wanted to be in the first place.

After that first rehearsal, I was ready to quit. I did not want to do this show under any circumstances, but I told my mom about everything and she made me realize that this was my last show and if I chose to quit now, I would probably regret it. And boy was she right. I ended up doing the show, even though some moments of it were still hard. Yet looking back on it now, if I hadn't done the show, I would have been watching all the other seniors and my friends doing a show that I did want to be a part of because I loved the story of it.

I don't know what would have happened if I had not done the show, but I am so happy that I did. I ended up getting to do a lot of really cool things throughout the show and by the end of the closing night, I couldn't have pictured myself not doing this show. It was one of my favorite shows that I had done in my four years there.

No you might be thinking why am I telling this whole story, but to be completely honest with you, I think this is so important because not everyone is going to have that voice saying do it, you will regret it if you don't. Being able to do your senior show is something that is so important because it allows you to have one last big moment at the place where you have spent most of your time. Plus who knows what you will do after you graduate so you may as well enjoy that last show because you don't know if you will get the chance to do another one.

So take that leap of faith and do that last show or performance or whatever it is, even if you get thrown under the bus. Take the time to find fun and joy and remember why you love doing it so much in the first place. Then if your school has a senior showcase, as mine did, take that as your final moment to shine. Because even with all of the auditions and drama, at the end of it all, you really do love theatre and it has a part of your heart.