New Romantic Comedies Suck

They Don't Make Rom-Coms Like They Used To And I Am falling out of love with romantic comedies

I am a sucker for rom-coms

31

I am a sucker for romcoms. Anything that gives me "16 Candles," "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" or "10 Things I Hate About You," "The Last Song" vibes is a winner in my eyes. However, all the new movies that have been added to Netflix just do not do the fulfill the same promise as these classics.

Take for instance the movie "Kissing Booth." (Warning spoiler ahead) I liked that movie and loved it when I realized that the two main stars were actually a couple in real life, but the ending left me disappointed. It concluded with a separation between the cute couple and no clear answer as to whether they ever regroup. I understand what the point of the ending was, but I did not appreciate it as much as it was intended to.

I watch romcoms so when the end credits roll I feel happy and complete that the two people ended up with a happily ever after. I watch it for a false sense of reality. I like movies to fuel my hopeless romantic side. I like when two people beat odds that are almost improbable. I like when the male character rides in on a lawnmower holding a stereo. I like when the last scene is a wedding or a proposal.

The new movies that have been coming out are worth the watch, especially since they are becoming more inclusive, but they do not have that same effect. I will continue to watch them because I am weak against a cute title and an interesting summary blurb, but I will never let go of my happy ever after the goal.