Roller Coasters are the Best

Roller Coasters are the Best

Five reasons you need a roller coaster in your life NOW.

19
Roller Coasters are the Best
How Stuff Works

I love a good thrill now and then. Don't you? The spike of adrenaline, the feeling of being painfully alive, and the rush of vitality which runs through you. A good thrill is absolutely fantastic. While some people go through haunted houses or go mountain climbing to get their kicks, my personal favorite thrill is a good old fashion roller coaster. The rushing wind, the mix of safety and danger, and the twists and turns are all wonderful aspects of this phenomenal form of entertainment. Roller coasters are simply the best. Here's why:

1. You get to go fast, real fast.

This, my dear friends, is Ceder Point's fastest roller coaster, Top Thrill: Dragster. It goes 130 mph in a single minute and is absolutely crazy. Now, you do not need to go on this particular roller coaster to know how fast roller coasters go. You could go on Dorney Park's Steel Force for instance, or Six Flags' Mind Eraser. The point of the matter is, you get to go amazingly fast on roller coasters. (And you get to do it without speeding on the highway with fear of ticket or crash.)

2. Scary (yet safe) fun.

This orange snake is Hersey Park's Fahrenheit. This glorious ride has a 97-degree angle coming off of its first drop. And it is positively terrifying. I will admit. The first time I rode this thing, I was so scared I almost peed myself. Just imagine, I had been in line for about an hour on a hot day, I bought a large lemonade in line, and my inner adrenaline junkie needed to experience this ride in the first row. This was a poor combination. Sitting there, perched on the top of the hill, not seeing the track connecting me to the ground, for a split second, I was scared. But, I did not pee myself, and I made it through the ride wanting to go again. Why did I want to go again, you ask? Because the thrill was invigorating, and I knew (in my heart of hearts) that my restraint was going to hold me in the ride and keep me safe. This controlled environment appeals to my will to live, while the insanity that is roller coasters quenches my thrill-seeking agenda.

3. They are classic.

Here we have Knoebels' Twister. This roller coaster has been my favorite wooden coaster for some years. Ever since my friend and I have been going to Knoebels in the spring with her family. It is ridiculous how many times we go on this one ride in a single day. I can hardly explain how much fun it absolutely is to go on this with her time and time again. Let me just say, we have been on this enough times we know exactly where that camera is to make a funny face.

4. Those funny pictures.

And what funny pictures we take! Look at us, I mean we are complete goofballs! Being completely prepared for the camera sure does make it easier to make such funny poses, I must admit. And these pictures make this roller coaster even more classic. I must say, these two points are interrelated, but nevertheless, they are valid.

5. There are actual health benefits.

This is Big Thunder Mountain from Disney World, and it was the main focus of a scientific study relating the passing of kidney stones and roller coasters. This study found that roller coasters can aid in the passing of kidney stones (especially towards the back). It seems as though the jarring movements and speed combined moves the stones from the upper parts of your kidneys to the lower areas where they begin being passed. So, if you need a kidney stone or two passed, take a trip to your local amusement park!

And, my personal favorite. My first and true love.

As a side note: This beauty (another Ceder Point classic) was my first roller coaster, and will always have a special place in my heart. The Millenium Force is high, it is fast, and it curves in all the right places. I love it more than any steel coaster on this side of the planet. It is balanced and it is phenomenal.