Roe V. Wade Is Overturned

Roe V. Wade Is Overturned

A Court Case of the Century

1031
Roe V. Wade Is Overturned
Canvas, Kelsey Jacobson

Friday, June 24th, 2022 was a historic day, but before we dive into that, let's talk about Roe V. Wade and how this all got started.

Roe v. Wade was a legal case in the United States that the Supreme Court ruled (7 to 2) on January 22, 1973 that state regulation of abortion was unconstitutional (source: Britannica).

Yesterday, the Supreme Court decided to overturn Roe v. Wade, and leaving it up to the states to decide what they would like to do.

A lot of people have opinions about this very divided issue. You are either Pro-life or Pro-choice while some might be in the middle, or at least, what I can see and hear.

For me personally, I am Pro-life. At the same time, I respect your choice. I hope you can respect mine. We might have our differences, but that doesn't mean that we still can't be friends or get along. Everyone has their own opinion. I am an open minded person. I'm down to having a conversation with you. I want to hear your thoughts and opinions. I want to hear and see your research. I want us to have an open conversation, not a fight.

While I care about the life that is the womb, I also care about the person who is carrying that life who has a life of her own. I care about the lives that are in foster care. I care about the lives that are waiting to be adopted. Who fights for them? We should be fighting for them just as much as we're fighting for the life in the womb. I care about the lives in my town, in my country, and in the world. Who is fighting for them?

I care about the people that want children but can't. I care about the people who are fighting for their lives. I care about the lives the of the people that I work with. I care about the people who are doctors, teachers, garbage collectors, accountants, maids, the homeless, and so many more. You get what I mean. I care about everyone, or at least, I try to care about every single person. If you feel like I don't care about you then I am so sorry.

I will be the first one to admit that I don't have all the answers.

I will be the first one to admit that I am not perfect. I fall short every single day.

At the end of the day, we can work together to make this world a better place.

I've been seeing people suggest better paternal leave, universal healthcare, affordable or free childcare, and resources for parents and children. How we can change the adoption system? How can we get more and/or better resources for parents as well as children. This all sounds great! It really does! But how are we going to do that?

I'm not trying to be sassy or sarcastic. I want to make that clear.

I want us to have a better system for our children and for ourselves. I don't know how. I'm only one person, but if we can come together, I know we can figure things out. I don't know about you, but I would much rather focus on the things that bring us together then the stuff that tears us apart. Because division doesn't solve anything. It only makes things worse. We can't do anything when we're fighting.

Now, we all know the saying that President Lincoln once said; "A house divided against itself cannot stand." (House Divided Speech, Abraham Lincoln, 1858).

Abraham Lincoln was quoting from Matthew 12:25:

"Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand."

So, now that Roe v. Wade is overturned, it's up to us to figure out what we're going to do next.

Sources:

National Park Service. 2022. House Divided Speech. https://www.nps.gov/liho/learn/historyculture/hous...

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. June 24th, 2022. Roe v. Wade. https://www.britannica.com/event/Roe-v-Wade