'I do' Not Like That Engagement Ring

If Getting Engaged Is About The Ring, You Should Rethink Your Relationship

"I do" not like that ring.

99
https://pixabay.com/en/people-couple-man-girl-propose-2604784/

Getting engaged is quite often one of the happiest moments of someone's life unless that is your partner proposes with an inadequate ring.

Recently, the TODAY Show shared an article about a woman who ring-shamed her boyfriend before he proposed. Apparently, there are Facebook groups and Reddit threads dedicated to ring shaming.

In this case, a woman discovered an engagement ring in her boyfriend's nightstand and proceed to publish it on Facebook for others to judge and help her figure out a way to tell her boyfriend to "go get something different."

There are various things wrong with this situation.

1. Why does this woman feel the need to go through her boyfriend's nightstand. Trust and respect are important parts of a relationship.

2. Why are there Facebook groups dedicated to ring shaming?

3. Your boyfriend liked you enough to want to spend the rest of his life with you and decided to go and by a ring for you. Be happy that your boyfriend loves you and thinks of you so highly.

4. Your boyfriend (whom you supposedly love and respect), picked out that engagement ring. He spent his wages and savings on that ring. He thought that ring was beautiful and would be a token of his love for you.

Getting engaged isn't about the ring. It never is. Sure, it's a nice way to show off that you are engaged, but it isn't about that.

Getting engaged is taking the next step in a relationship. It is saying, "I love you, I respect you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

If you are more worried about whether or not he bought a simple ring from Wal-Mart or a ridiculously expensive ring from a high-end jewelry store, you should rethink your relationship.

As for the woman in the aforementioned situation above, I hope you said: "No, go find a better ring." I hope that your boyfriend went out and bought another ring for another woman because he deserves better.