It's 2018 And It's Not OK That Schools Are Still Ridiculing Black Children For Their Hair

Black hair is NOT inappropriate!

82

An 11-year-old girl was recently removed from her Louisiana Catholic private school after administrators reportedly cited her hair extensions and style as a dress code violation. Christ the King Parish School reprimanded the middle-schooler on the first day of school.

Although she had attended the school for the past two years, she was told on her first day of 6th grade that her hairstyle was a violation of the schools' updated dress code. After receiving the notice in class, she was sent to the principles office and later escorted off of the premises with her parents and brother.

Faith Fennidy's story went viral after her brother posted a video of the incident on Facebook. "My sister Faith and many little black girls wear extensions. She's been attending this school for two years and wearing extensions. Over the summer the school has sneakily added in a policy that no extensions, clip-ins or weaves are allowed," he wrote. "Extensions make the hair easier to maintain. It allows my sister to have access to the swimming pool without having to get her hair Re-done every night. How do you make a policy without even having a discussion? It's because you don't care and it's just one more barrier to entry for black people. This decision is going to affect black children more than white children."

This is yet another instance of covert racism disguised as "school policy." It's easy for the school to simply state that all students must wear their "natural hair", but they also know that this disproportionally affects blacks students more than white students. And if we really want to go there, natural hair refers to hair that is not chemically altered. Extensions and weaves do not alter hair texture. The racist policy the school meant to implement was for students to only wear their real hair.

According to Faith's brother, the principal added that the reason for this updated policy is that "they're swinging it and things like that," as if white girls don't take sick pleasure in flicking their ponytails every two minutes in the faces of the poor people condemned to sit behind them for an entire school year.

Black hair is simply a lot harder to maintain than other hair types which makes protective hairstyles such as extensions and weaves necessary in order to save time and keep black hair neat longer. Like her brother said, plats were put into her hair so that she would be able to go swimming and not have to have her hair re-done every night. But I guess the differing characteristics of "black hair" will always be one of those cultural differences white people just won't ever accept.

A few weeks ago in Florida, a 6-year-old boy was removed from a Christian school on his first day after the school cited his dreadlocks as a dress code violation. In the video of this incident, the father of this young boy is heard asking if he would be able to braid his sons dreads up as a compromise, to which he was told no and that his son's hair needed to be "above the ears." Well, not only would braiding it up make it above the ears, but the schools own website features a white child with hair longer than ear length. So, again, explain to me how these school policies aren't racist and designed to push out black children.

For centuries the Bible has been used as a tool in white supremacy, and if this is what Christianity will continue to be, I want no part of it.