I love you, but I need to let you go.

A couple of weeks ago, I revealed what my "one word" would be for 2019. But as I trudged my way through this past week, another thought came to mind: release. It was during the frustration and number of tasks piled on me, I heard a small whisper. It was beckoning me to release. I had to go and find the definition of the word, to make sure that I had a good understanding of what it means to "release." I came across the following:

• 1.allow or enable to escape from confinement; set free
  • 2.allow (something) to move, act or flow freely

In reading these definitions, I came to understand release in a different way. Normally, I think about a release as something that is only for me. I'm freeing myself from whatever brings negativity into my life. The word in the definition that catches my eye is "allow." I feel a strong sense of empowerment when I know that I am allowing whatever that unwanted something is to exit my life. I'm enabling that which is causing me strife to exit, stage left. This even applies to things that I might consider to be good for me. Sometimes, I have to release those types of things, too.

It is amazing how so much is packed into one word. The good, the bad and the ugly can come from the act of release. Ideally, I try to focus on the positive that release can bring. Ending toxic relationships, getting rid of clothes that don't fit, or allowing your friend to borrow your favorite book, these are all acts of release (with the lending of the book is the scariest. It's a bibliophile thing). Yet release is a necessary part of life (keeping every single piece of clothing you have ever come across only puts you at "hoarder" status).

As 2019 continues, I'm sure I'll come across other words that will speak to me. I know it's supposed to be "one word," but I like to take popular concepts and customize them. I think this will be the year of words for me. Watch out dictionary, here I come!