Don't Wait For The New Year To Change

To The Person Who Wants To Reinvent Themselves, Go For It

After all, life is too short to wait around for the new year.

22

As human beings, it is natural that we often associate certain characteristics with the people we are close to, and these can range from hobbies to music taste to favorite books. On one hand, it is endearing for someone to tell you that they thought of you when they noticed something out in the real world. But on the other hand, this image of ourselves can be so cemented that when we want to change, we fear to be unrecognizable.

There is a reason we look forward to the new year. As the ball drops and the chorus of "new year, new me," rings out, it provides us with the safe space we need to expand our interests without question. After all, it is a new year, and that is enough of a reason to want to change our image. Even when we move out or switch schools, many consider that they have the power to reinvent themselves because it is a new environment.

This kind of mindset is liberating in a sense. When no one recognizes you, you have the ability to surprise people and explore other sides to you that you haven't had the chance to yet. There are no expectations, and for many, this is refreshing.

But the new year is only around every so often, and we don't always have the opportunity to explore a new place every time we want to change something about ourselves.

Recently, I've been shopping at new places rather than the usual stores that I tended to frequent. I'm not exactly sure why my sense of style has changed, but I've embraced it. My wardrobe is filled with nice shirts, jeans, the occasional dress, and other things, but the priority has always been comfort. To be honest, it has become somewhat boring for me.

Don't get me wrong: I love sweatpants and a hoodie on a chilly winter day, but when your entire look can be defined in a few words, it can be discouraging. I started to admire the outfits of a few of my favorite influencers and decided that no harm could come from branching out.

Over the fall and winter months, I started wearing far more baggy sweaters than I used to. I bought myself a turtleneck—which I ordinarily never would've worn on a normal day—and discovered that I loved how it looked on me. I was purchasing things that broadened my horizons like bomber jackets and crop tops, and I started wearing makeup more often.

Now that I'm back at home for the summer, the shopping malls are dangerously close to my house, and I have made some fashion choices that my sister has called me out on, saying, "Your fashion sense has really changed, oh my God." But even then, the purchases that I have made have excited me.

For my sister's graduation, I wore a jumpsuit for the first time, and while I received compliments, I realized that I enjoyed wearing it, felt good wearing it, and wanted to wear it more often. Sure, it was jarring to put on something that doesn't feel familiar, but after a while, it becomes like a second skin. You adapt to the change, and you embrace it.

If you're looking to change something about yourself or reinvent your image, just go for it. Don't wait around for a new year or a new opportunity. Life is too short to wait. Don't worry about what people might say. Instead, you have to focus on yourself because you deserve to be the priority.