Recap Of The 2016 Golden Globes

Recap Of The 2016 Golden Globes

Lower your standards for the Oscars immediately.

7
Recap Of The 2016 Golden Globes
www.celebuzz.com

As much as I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Golden Globes this year, I unfortunately cannot. This award show was tedious, weird, and dull. Ricky Gervais hosted the show again and that is probably the first reason that we all wanted to turn it off so bad.

I'm a fanatic for awards season. I watch the pre-red carpet showing, the actual red carpet event, the Award Show, and the after parties. As a dedicated fan of award shows and movies in general, I was disappointed. Gervais' jokes were disappointing, the red carpet looks were disappointing, and even some of the winners were disappointing. It was, overall, the most boring award show that I've ever seen, and I've seen my fair share. But, to make sure that you keep reading this article, I will highlight the few funny moments that occurred on Sunday night.

1. Jaimie Alexander awkwardly presented the award for Best Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television by reacting to a glitching teleprompter and saying, "Whose typing this sh*t?"

2. Leonardo DiCaprio winning the Golden Globe for Best Actor was definitely my highlight of the night. Does this mean that he's on his way to finally winning that Oscar that he so desperately wants? We're crossing our fingers for him. We also loved seeing him reunite with his long-time friend, Kate Winslet. The two have been Hollywood's favorite off-screen friendship since they became best friends on the set of "Titanic."

3. DiCaprio's face as Lady Gaga bumped his arm while walking to the stage (and completely disregarding that she bumped his arm off of his chair) was hilarious. It's probably just as funny as the famous strutting DiCaprio meme. The moral of the story here is that we had DiCaprio to remind us why we were still watching the Golden Globes.

4. We had a typical Jennifer Lawrence (J. Law) and Amy Schumer (A. Schu) presentation that made us all laugh, as usual. Although, I'm sure that Schumer is secretly annoyed that Lawrence snagged the award from her in their category later that night.

5. Our favorite dynamic duo, Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill, presented the first award of the night in a ridiculous, but hilarious way. Hill dressed as the bear that attacks DiCaprio in "The Revenant" and thanked the director of the film, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, for taking a chance on him--an unknown bear.

6. Rachel Bloom's crazy excitement when she actually won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a TV Comedy or Musical for her role in the CW's (which we didn't even know still existed) "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" had us just as excited.

7. Kate Winslet's surprising win not only made her overwhelmed with joy, but also made us overwhelmed with joy. Being the incredible actor that she is, the fact that she still remains humble makes her even more admirable than she was before, which was already hard to top. She even started her 20 second speech with: "Is this really happening?" C'mon Kate, you know that we're not in the least bit shocked.

8. Jamie Foxx took a dig at Steve Harvey, given his now-famous flub at last month's Miss Universe pageant. He announced that the honor of Best Original Score went to "Straight Outta Compton," despite the fact that it obviously wasn't nominated. Foxx then joked, "Sorry folks, I made a mistake. It's right here on the card." He then proceeded to announce the real winner, Ennio Morricone for "The Hateful Eight."

9. America Ferrara and Eva Longoria poked fun at the confusion between them and the other Latino women in the entertainment industry--Eva Mendes, Gina Rodriguez, Rosario Dawson, and Salma Hayek.

10. More than 40 years into his career, Sylvester Stallone finally won his first Golden Globe at Sunday night's ceremony. He was honored for "Creed," rewarded by the HFPA for his reprising role as Rocky Balboa, earned a standing ovation, and even thanked the imaginary Rocky Balboa for being the "best friend he's ever had."

Finally, whether you thought actors or actresses were snubbed at the ceremony, here is a full list of the winners from the 2016 Golden Globes:

Best Motion Picture - Drama

"The Revenant"

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

"The Martian"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Brie Larson - "Room"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Leonardo DiCaprio - "The Revenant"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Jennifer Lawrence - "Joy"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Matt Damon - "The Martian"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture

Kate Winslet - "Steve Jobs"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture

Sylvester Stallone - "Creed"

Best Director - Motion Picture

Alejandro G. Iñárritu - "The Revenant"

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Aaron Sorkin - "Steve Jobs"

Best Motion Picture - Animated

"Inside Out"

Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language

Hungary - "Son of Saul"

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

"The Hateful Eight" - Ennio Morricone

Best Original Song - Motion Picture

"Writing's on the Wall" - Spectre

Best Television Series - Drama

"Mr. Robot"

Best Television Series - Musical of Comedy

"Mozart in the Jungle"

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

"Wolf Hall"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television

Lady Gaga - "American Horror Story: Hotel"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television

Oscar Isaac - "Show Me a Hero"

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Drama

Taraji Henson - "Empire"

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Drama

Jon Hamm - "Mad Men"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy

Rachel Bloom - "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy

Gael García Bernal - "Mozart in the Jungle"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Maura Tierney - "The Affair"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Christian Slater - "Mr. Robot"

Cecil B. DeMille Award

Denzel Washington

There you have it. Hopefully Chris Rock does a better job at hosting the Academy Awards on Sunday, February 28th. The bottom line is that we're sick of Ricky Gervais and we want Tina Fey and Amy Poehler back.