6 Reasons To Still Vacation With Family When You're Older

Who would ever turn down a free trip abroad?

59
My Photo

I've always been thankful to have a family that puts so much emphasis on the value of traveling. Because of them, I've gone places most people will never get the chance to visit and gained some valuable experiences. While choosing family over friends may not always be the most popular option, I wouldn't trade my family trips for anything. Here's why:

1. They pay for everything

Spring break plans with friends from college can be HELLA expensive. It's nice, when traveling with family, to know they've got your back -- and the check. My college budget has little room for anything pricier than Easy-Mac on the weekends, so I'm fortunate to still be able to collect life-changing experiences in the (hopefully) stingiest time of my career.

Free trip to Munich?

YES, PLEASE.

2. You go to the coolest places

It's one thing to have the means to afford trips abroad, but another entirely to have a family undaunted by the thought of traveling to Panama or Dubai. I can always count on them to challenge me to travel to unconventional destinations and to try new things while we're there.

3. It's low pressure

When it's just family, there's no one you have to impress. My family and I know each other pretty well, so we're all comfortable enough to speak our minds and compromise on what to do while we're traveling. We never fail to find things to talk about and plan fun things to do together. When it comes to navigating a new public transit system in a foreign language, we're all glad to have each others' help.

4. You've got experts on your side

Having seasoned-travelers lead the way is not without its perks -- it's nice leaving the technical plans up to my parents every once in a while and trust that I can get on the train they're telling me to without worrying whether or not I'll end up in a different country by the time the line ends.

5. It makes Mom happy

She says she loves it because she misses having the whole family together, but really it's because it makes it easy to get the Christmas card done before the snow even starts to fall.

6. It's quality bonding time

People who travel together, stay together. What better way to catch up with someone than over a cappuccino in a café? Since you'd be traveling with just your family, you don't have many other options than to talk to each other. Plus, you're making memories you'll never forget, and can laugh at 20 years from now at Thanksgiving with your own children.

I'm thankful every day for the experiences I've had while vacationing with my family. When it comes down to it, there's no one else I'd rather travel the world with.