art history

Reasons Everyone Should Take an Art History Class

There is way more to art history than what meets the eye.

23

During high school, I was submerged in the fine arts community. I quickly learned that drawing and painting was not a strong suit for me. My art teacher suggested I sign up for an AP art history class, so I did. Taking that class was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Art History is the most important and eye-opening class I've ever taken in my life.

Art History was way more work than I expected it to be and it stressed me out immensely. We did at least 20 pages if not more every week and I stayed up later than I would've liked, to memorize the artworks and their importance. About halfway into the semester I finally realized how important this class is -- this class is way more than just studying pieces of art But my teacher made the class way more enjoyable and made me value art way more than I did before the class.

Art history teaches people that art isn't just what crosses your mind when you think of art (painting, drawing, ceramics, etc). Art is a language, film, woodworking, architecture, furniture, and clothing. It teaches you that art is every single place you go to. Art has played an important role in helping fight against intolerance of different cultures, racism, and other forms of unjust societal segregation for centuries. Art history gives a reminder to the artist that not all art is for aesthetic -- some of the most powerful works of art are not what many people would want to hang in their homes but still open their eyes to social issues or understanding of another culture. Art History also shows us that it is a fact that just because people do not like your art or understand it does not mean it is bad. Van Gogh only sold one painting during his lifetime, If only he could see just how brilliant he is now.