how to know if you're ready for marriage

I'd Like To Be Ready For Marriage, But I'm Not

I can't wait for that time in my life, but I can at the same time.

452
Casey Whoolery-Pratt

With graduation right around the corner and all my friends getting married and having babies, it makes me excited to do the same. So much so, that I have been nonstop talking about "the next step" with my significant other. To the point that he wishes he had earplugs every time I bring it up. But, when all the hype settles down from friend's engagement photos, weddings, and babies, I lay in bed at night and think "thank you God for the amazing man that I have and for the future it holds, even if it means marriage is a few years away."

I always get so caught up with other people's lives and expect mine to go the same way. But, I'm young, confused, and happy. So why add more into the mix right now? I just sometimes get excited and forget that my life isn't supposed to be like the next person's, and I should enjoy the way it is without the pressures of those around me. I want to travel and not be tied down to a family, just yet. Granted, I want to see the world with my S/O, but not necessarily with kids right away. Someday I hope to show my children the world, but first I want to see it myself.

So, to my friends that are ready for that next step, thank you for including me in it. I hope to be where you are someday and to include you in mine. But until then, I trust that God has timings for everything. I know He does. I think mine is right around the corner and I can't wait to see. I just want to live my independent, dating life to the fullest while I can. I plan to keep each day open to the possibility of anything, but with a humble and grateful heart.