Reaching The Mountaintop

Reaching The Mountaintop

I get a little help from my friends.

6
Reaching The Mountaintop
Abigail Morehouse

I recently wrote an article about how this summer I am trying to battle my anxiety by going on different trips and getting out of my comfort zone ("Climbing Out of my Comfort Zone"). In turn the month of July has been a little crazy. I wasn't home much at all and that took it's toll on me. I worked at a church camp, spent a long weekend in Nashville, and went to the beach twice. All in the month of July. It has been crazy, amazing, and slightly terrifying. However, it has been incredibly rewarding.

I am a major homebody. I wasn't even home for half of the month, and that was hard. The floor of my room is currently covered with laundry baskets of clean clothes I've washed in between trips, half full suitcases, and half packed toiletry bags. I have packed, unpacked, repacked and packed again. Despite the stress, the long car rides, and lack of sleep I can safely say that July has been truly amazing.

Even though it has been amazing, it hasn't helped my anxiety. It has made me more comfortable being around other people, exploring new places, and trying new things, but it didn't miraculously take my fears away. I still wanted to get sick the first night I was there. I was still in slight disbelief that I was away from home on my first big girl trips. But I didn't cancel a trip (despite the fact that before one trip I was so worried I was physically sick). I did something I never imagined myself being able to do. I even enjoyed myself. A lot. I enjoyed my trip to Nashville so much that I plan on going back again. I was able to spend time with friends and make new ones along the way.

This summer's journey has forced me to learn a lot about myself. That by actually going through with my plans I am stronger than I was before. That even though I didn't end up tackling my fears I still reached the top of the mountain, one mountain of many that I will have to climb in this life. Through strength I didn't know I had, friendship, and help from all of those that love me this mountain was made more bearable, and I know that the others will too.

If you suffer from anxiety, my tip is to find a great support system that will be there to help you along the way. Without them I wouldn't have been able to do this. They've driven me halfway across the state, made me comfortable, and welcomed me into their homes and families. We can't fight this battle alone, and we don't have to.