I Was Born In STL, But I Was Raised By The World

The Lou gave me a place to grow, but I have so much more to see.

213
Credits: Bella Rainey

I was born in Chicago and raised in St. Louis and always wishing for something more.

The Midwest is a very distinct area, especially St. Louis. You have the Cardinals, IMOs, Ted Drew's, Gooey Butter Cake and overall a very strange city dynamic. Oh, and don't forget about the arch.

Don't get me wrong, St. Louis will always be my hometown, but I have never felt at home here. I feel at home in an airplane or a long road trip. I feel happiest when I am exploring places far from the Lou and all of its wonders.

Colorado makes me feel like I am strong again. Being in the mountains gives me a confidence and grace that I lose so quickly back home. The crisp air puts me at rest and I have a sense of peace that I have never experienced somewhere else. You can go from the city to the mountains in an hour, which is awesome. Colorado has a very special place in my heart, and I honestly cannot wait to one day reside there.

New York City makes me feel alive. From the two times I have gone, I have quickly become obsessed with the emotional high I get from the lights at Times Square or the show tunes on Broadway. The fast pace environment excites me, and makes me feel comfortable. At home, everything moves so slowly. The time, the people, the restaurants. In New York, everyone is on a mission, and it makes me feel like less of a freak for wanting to be productive at all possible times of the day.

Wisconsin makes me feel at home. I know it can easily be grouped into the Midwest, and it is not necessarily the most exhilarating place in the world, BUT, I have a strange sense of home there. My mom is from Wisconsin, and I have only been there with her, so I can almost feel her love for that cheese filled state. The people are incredibly nice and the spirit for their home state puts everyone in a good mood. Plus, they have the greatest football team in the country, so I feel like that is reason enough to never want to leave.

Chicago is my place of birth, so naturally it has an extra special place in my heart. I am from a suburb about 30 minutes outside of the city itself, so both areas give me an overwhelming sense of belonging. My family lives in the suburbs, so when I am visiting I always have a permanent warm fuzzy. The trees arch over the sidewalks and the houses invite you right in. I love eating a yummy Portillo's sandwich on the back porch in the Chicago autumn season. On the other hand, the city is a whole other type of comfort when I stop by, especially in the winter time. I know, I know, Chicago winters are brutal. The wind is harsh and the people are grouchy, but there is a part of me that loves it. Bundling up, with a hot coffee in hand, window shopping - it is like a dream.

There are a lot of other places I call home aside from my home, and I have plenty of reasoning for them. But what excites me most is knowing I get to continue adding to that list! Travel makes your heart love more, your brain understand more, and your soul see more. I cannot wait to keep uncovering parts of my home here on Earth.