5 Rainy Day Activities To Do In Winston-Salem

You don't have to waste the day in your dorm room

262

It’s always tough to wake up in the morning only to find it’s rainy and cloudy when you look out the window. This is always more disappointing when it’s a Saturday and you have to waste a day of the beloved weekend inside. But fear not! Having experienced an especially rainy and gross Saturday recently, I compiled a list of the best rainy day activities in the area as my friends and I desperately looked for ways not to waste the day away in our dorm rooms.

1. See a movie

Personally, seeing a movie on a rainy day has always been a go-to activity for me. The movie theater in Hanes Mall is so nice and has the comfiest chairs, as well as a pretty extensive selection of movies. Seeing a movie on a rainy day takes you away from the misery outside and lets you pretend you're in a completely different world. There is also an independent film theater in DTWS called aperture and many other good movie theaters in the area.

2. Try a new restaurant

On a rainy day, walking around campus can be pretty upsetting. When the Pit or Benson doesn't seem to fill your rainy day food needs (mine are usually soup and comfort food) take the opportunity to try a new restaurant in Winston! There are new restaurants opening all the time and often the ambiance of a trendy restaurant can make a rainy day feel even a little better.

3. Go shopping

Shopping in Winston-Salem is limited, but if you want to shop there are definitely good options. Hanes Mall is one option and is an easy way to stay away from the rain. However, if you're looking for trendier stores, check out Bevello and Ivy & Leo in Thruway Shopping Center, which accompany New Balance, the newly opened Chop't salad store, and Dewey's for ice cream and treats that will definitely cheer you up.

4. Go to a museum

You don't have to go too far to see world-renowned art and immerse yourself in history. Visiting the Reynolda House is the perfect way to spend time on a rainy day by learning about the history of Winston-Salem, viewing the current exhibition where you are sure to see artwork from talented American artists, and touring the historic house itself (the indoor pool and game rooms are my favorite).

5. Look for community events happening and Wake sports' schedules

My friends and I got lucky and found a food truck festival going on downtown on a rainy day. It would have been more pleasant in the sun, but it was a great way to spend the day. Winston-Salem has many community events that occur on the weekends so be sure to look out for them online! Also, there's a good chance that there's at least one Demon Deacon team playing on a rainy weekend day.

There are many indoor sports like volleyball, hockey, and tennis but some sports even play in the rain like football and baseball. Brave the rain and go support your Deacs!