Radio Production Just Isn't For Me

Radio Production Just Isn't For Me

I still love the radio, but I will not be making a career out of it.

18
Radio Production Just Isn't For Me
mpasho.co.ke

If you have followed me from the start, you would know that I was in love with working at the radio station. I loved radio so much, and I was very interested in a career in it. I still am very much in love with the radio, and I absolutely love working at the school's station, but I do not think I am going to make a career out of it. That's okay, though, college is about trying things out and figuring out what is best for you. This is a time to find yourself and really figure out who you are and what you are going to do.

As previously mentioned, I still love the radio. I am going to continue to be at WIUP until I graduate, but odds are, I will not be actively looking for a career in radio for a few reasons. The first reason: I would much rather be on-air talent than anything else. I love being on the air, but let's face it, It is very difficult to get an on-air position, and I am not very interested in production work after my experience with my class.

In my radio production class, we had four projects: legal IDs, station promos, commercials and an air check. I had fun doing these projects and it was a great experience, but it made me realize that production work is just not for me. Just like any project, they all took a considerable amount of time, but I always seemed to have an issue with one of my projects. For the ID's, one of my files got deleted, the same goes with my promo project. My commercial project went smoothly, and so did my air check for the most part, but the constant going back and forth to the lab and figuring out where I went wrong became exhausting, and made me want to put less effort into my projects. Luckily, I stuck it out and all my projects came out almost flawlessly.

Like I said, these projects drained me. Just like any project, you have to plan ahead for smooth sailings, and I am okay with that until I start to lose interest in what I am doing. This class made me realize that radio production work is just not for me. I like doing it, but only when I can have full creativity with everything, and that is just not how it works in the real world.

I very much enjoyed the class, though. It was interesting and I learned some valuable skills. I even became familiar with a program that I never thought I would be able to figure out. So no, this class was not a waste of time. I am very glad that I took this class and was able to figure out what I want to do with my future early on. Now that I know what I am doing, I can focus all my time and energy into my future career goals.