Why We Should Pursue Our Dreams?

Why Aren't We Pursuing Our Dream Right Now?

Or are we?

186
Aisling O'Donnell

I think about dreams quite a bit. I think about what my dream job would be. I think about what my dream future will look like. I think about my dream meal before going out to eat. Basically, I just always am thinking about what my dream life should look like constantly. But with these thoughts, I realize that not only am I trying to pursue my dream life, but I also am not doing as much as I should be in my current life position to achieve my dreams.

This really scared me.

Which makes me question why am I not actively pursuing what I want. Is it societal pressures, lack of motivation, or being scared of what happens when my dreams become reality? I think it is all of the above. I think we as humans sadly follow societal norms and have outside pressures from our friends, family, and identities to believe we are not allowed to follow our passions and have to follow someone else's dream in order to be accepted or understood by others. But we can be accepted for pursuing our own dreams, but we are scared that we won't.

Sometimes out of pure laziness, we do not pursue our dreams. We are not willing to put in the time and effort to make our dream happen, and there is no one else to blame for the failure of your dream but you.

I also believe there is this overwhelming fear of actually having your dream become reality. This fear is because it is an unknown territory and makes us uncomfortable. We want to make our dreams reality, but our own comfort zones are inhibiting our success.

For example, a college student with parents who are doctors pursuing medicine because they feel the need to follow in the footsteps of parents, to follow the aspirations of their parents of wanting them to become a doctor, and to follow the social belief of others who think they will become a doctor too. But this is not the student's dream. The student is just appeasing his family and others because of societal pressures rather than pursuing their own individual dreams and pursuits which they think will make them accepted by the family and society. But sometimes, we have to be like Troy Bolton in High School Musical when Troy's dad says, "But son, you're giving up your dreams!" and Troy responds with, "No Dad, I'm giving up YOUR dreams."

I believe you should follow your dreams. Regardless if someone may not think this may be the right path, it is your life, not theirs. You can value their opinion and not follow it. And as a wise man named Walt Disney once stated, "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" which I believe is true. If we have the courage to overcome our family and society's wants, our own laziness and step out of our comfort zone, we can make our dreams reality. But we have to be willing to dream.