Things To Consider Before Getting Adopting A Puppy In College

They're not as easy as they look.

79
pexels

I have made it quite evident in my previous writings that I am a lover of animals. I have always had a heart towards them ever since I was young, and I cannot stand to see one go un-cared for.

As I enter my THIRD year in college, I see a lot of people getting animals, but not really realizing the responsibility that they require. A new animal requires personal sacrifices regarding your social life, and many people truly do not comprehend that. Am I faulting them for thinking a new puppy is cute? No way. However, eventually, the cuteness wears off and you find yourself standing in your apartment complex parking lot at 3 a.m. begging them to use the potty so you can go back to sleep. The nights of going out until 2 a.m. are over, at least if you want your dog to have an adequate life.

All I am saying is that being a pet owner requires commitment and work, especially for a puppy. They require socialization, exercise, and training. I just got a puppy, and I honestly forgot how much work they are. However, instead of a looking at my puppy as a burden, I am looking at it as a challenge and an opportunity. Rudy looks up to me, and he depends on me. He deserves attention, and he most definitely does not deserve to be cooped up all day long. That is no life for a living and breathing creature.

This article is by no means intended to be reprimanding, but instead a friendly reminder. If you do not see yourself having time for a puppy, please refrain from getting one. Much too often I see innocent dogs locked up and not given the time they deserve. You'll need to adjust. You have to find places for them to run instead of staying at an apartment and an infinite amount of other things.

From one dog lover to another, they are worth the wait. Whenever you have time to commit to them, they will spend the rest of their lives thanking you for it.