Pulse Night Club

Pulse Night Club

A time for solidarity.

25
Pulse Night Club
Pulse Orlando

Often as Journalists, we are faced with covering horrific stories in the public interest, yet it is not often we are faced with covering such stories so close to home.

This is not the first article covering the matter, by nature meaning readers are no doubt already informed about the happenings in Orlando on the 11th and 12th of June, 2016.

What is now known to be the most deadly mass shooting in modern U.S history has once again demonstrated both the harrowing depravity of hate, no matter what guise it wears; as well as the audacity and resilience shown by local residents and our friends and families in communities both local, national and international.

There are no words to excuse or justify the violence perpetrated, but this article will not bring forth political, religious or sociological arguments; now is the time for us to mourn the dead and injured and to support each other throughout this dark time and into the coming weeks and months. It is not an event which a community can easily forget or from which recover.

To the families affected by this event: You have the support of your community, and together, we will get through this.

To the responders, fire rescue, police, EMT and citizens, and to those who donated blood in the emergency drives: Thank you. While events like this do not happen every day, the public servants listed daily put their lives in danger to protect us; today their actions, along with those who waited hours in the hot and humid day to donate blood, no doubt saved many lives.

From the Orlando Odyssey team, we offer our condolences and prayers; our thoughts are with the friends and family of all who are affected by this event.

The coming weeks and months will no doubt be host to heated discussions on the issues at hand, but today is a time for mourning and solidarity.

If you would like to contribute, Equality Florida is helping to raise funds for the victims and families of those affected.