The Pros And Cons Of Living In NYC

The Pros And Cons Of Living In NYC

What it's truly like to live in New York City.

585
The Pros And Cons Of Living In NYC
Roxy Saravia

Going to school in New York City has been such a surreal experience but I’ve definitely had moments when I questioned why I decided to go to school here but first, let’s start off with the pros:

So Many Experiences

A pro of living in NYC is that there’s always something to do. My friends from back home always love to visit because this city has so much to offer. We can go to a restaurant (that nine out of ten times will be amazing), go to a park, go shopping and so much more. New York City is always a good idea. If you're bored in New York City, you're most likely doing something wrong.

Another pro of living in NYC is that every village has it's own vibe. Tribeca, Flatiron, SoHo, West Village all have distinct vibes making them more special and unique. I truly believe there's a mood for each village. My favorite area is SoHo because it's always vibrant, has so much going on and has beautiful architectures.

SoHo will always be my number one favorite spot in NYC. I'm not sure what it is but whenever I'm there I feel a rush of excitement. Everyone is super stylish, and no one is afraid to stand out. During the summer I always buy the $5 sunglasses that are sold on the street. They're cheap, cute and stylish... why wouldn't I buy them? SoHo honestly has the key to my heart.

When you live in NYC you'll find that one place that will make you feel alive and SoHo just happens to be that place for me.

Street Art

There is an abundance amount of street art in NYC which is one of the reasons I love living here. If you're a creative person then NYC is the place for you. Everyone is so open and carefree here. If you want to wear bright pink shoes, go ahead. If you want to wear a big hat, go ahead. This city allows you to be whoever you want to be. I've realized that since I moved here I'm much more confident. This is probably the biggest pro when you're living in NYC.

Parks

Living in such a big city can get hectic at times. I like to unwind at a park and NYC has so many options! My favorite parks are Brooklyn Bridge Park and Madison Square Park. A nice view and some nature... what else could you ask for?

Living in NYC has its pros and cons but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Here are some downsides to living in NYC:

The Subways!!!

The subways are definitely a con but I can't complain too much about them because they are the fastest and cheapest way of transportation but they're usually always delayed, smell, and overpacked. I've definitely had those moments when I was cramped in a subway with no personal space thinking, "Why do I live here?" Then, once in a while, I'll see a rat on the tracks (one time it was on the platform only a couple of feet away from me). In the end, I know that it's just one of those things I have to deal with.

Winter In NYC

The winter in NYC is honestly so brutal and the biggest con of living in NYC. It gets so cold to the point where I don't want to leave my apartment. The snow is nice during the Christmas time but once Christmas is over, I'm over it! You have to wear so many layers and then you have to get on the subway and it's extremely hot so you end up sweating. It's the absolute worst!

Despite all of these cons, I'm so grateful to live in this beautiful city that pushes me to be the best version of myself. I honestly can't see myself living anywhere else.