Goodbye, 'Pretty Little Liars'

Goodbye, 'Pretty Little Liars'

"Got a secret, can you keep it?"

15
Goodbye, 'Pretty Little Liars'
Warner Bros. Television

After seven years of drama, laughs, tears, heartbreak, friendship, relationships, breakups, fights, crazy twists and turns, mystery, murders, surprising hookups, disappearances, all of the ominous and sinister texts, it is finally time to say goodbye to our beloved group of liars.

From A being Mona, to Uber A being Charlotte aka Charles aka Cece, who is also both Spencer and Alison's half-sister. With the final farewell, the discovery of A.D. unveiled every untouched stone over the course of the past seasons. Spencer, played by Troian Bellisario, is one of my favorite characters and Troian's acting skills were absolutely on point in this series finale. MAJOR SPOILER ALERT: Spencer has an evil twin sister named Alex Drake and she's A.D. Many fan theories have led up to this moment and though I'm more than aware there's already plenty of mixed criticism toward this reveal, it seems twins really do run in the family.

Just to backtrack, I've been a dedicated fan of the show since day one. But I also knew about "Pretty Little Liars" before it became a hit TV series with a massive international following. The books came first, starting with the very first novel all the way back in 2006! This is four years before the premiere of the show in the summer of 2010, when I was in the crucial transition from middle school to high school. This period of time was full of bumps, and my life felt like it was turning upside down to say the least. Like most fans, the show helped me through a lot of difficult times.

The TV series in every possible way has deviated from the books. It has evolved and taken on a life of its own, filled with mystery and murder, keeping viewers in shock, confusion and eager anticipation. But it's important to keep in mind that in the books, Ali is the one with a twin! And hey, maybe you didn't know that! So please don't belittle the efforts of the show's creator Marlene King and the show writers for the major A.D. reveal with Spencer's twin. This was years in the making and it was honestly the best series finale I could've hoped for. I'm more than satisfied with how everything went down.

Our ships from early on found their way back to each other. After Haleb eloped in a previous episode, in the finale Ezria finally got married, Ali proposed to Emily- they also are raising twin daughters together- and Spencer and Toby, despite all the insanity Alex/A.D. caused, are still endgame too.

On that note, I have to include a crucial scene from the series finale. In A.D's underground dungeon, the remaining liars and the rest of the gang came face to face with Spencer and Alex (pretending to be Spencer). In a tense moment of truth, Toby doesn't know who to point his gun at and asks Spencer to tell him her favorite poem from the book she gifted him. The real Spencer is revealed as she starts to recite a poem in French, locking eyes with Toby, something Alex never could've known. It was a perfect and beautiful moment, and it couldn't have been anyone else but Toby.

In the final moments, Mona even gets her own version of a happy ending. Working in a French doll shop, which seems fitting, Mona unveils a secret underground dungeon of her own, with a miniature dollhouse and a cell hidden behind a screen which mimics the setting of the dollhouse, containing both Mary Drake and Alex/A.D. as her dolls. Definitely more than fitting. #NeverForgetTheDollhouse.

The series finale takes the show full circle as it ends bringing forth a new generation of liars, with a clique of high school girls whose leader, Addison, disappears in the middle of the night during a sleepover. It brings us all back to the pilot episode where everything started, with Ali's disappearance. Following that event, the dead bodies and suspects began to pile up as the mystery unraveled at the seams.

It was an emotional end to a seven year journey of a truly beloved show. I cannot believe this is the final goodbye. I will miss my dear liars, and the drama of Rosewood. With the ultimate sisterhood of five girls who survived all of the trials and tribulations thrown their way, this show will never be forgotten.

Bye, b*tches. -A