Why 'Practice Makes Perfect' Is The Perfect Cliche

Although It's Cliche, 'Practice Makes Perfect' Is Really The Key To Mastering A Skill

Once the unquenchable obsession kicks in, you will be even more intrinsically motivated to practice what you want to make perfect in your lifetime!

274
Erikka, wearing all black, holding sheet music
Erikka Chowdhury

The world's endearing mantra, "practice makes perfect," has become such an integral part of our daily lives and vernacular. As much as we hear and uncontrollably get slightly irritated by this omniscient phrase, it is 100% true! In order to get exponentially proficient or an expert at a certain activity or course, one must consistently seek to devote some time towards practice. Just having the interminable desire to understand and learn something is not enough.

One must be totally immersed towards it and that immersive force will lead to the onset of passion which will later metamorphose into an obsession. Activities such as learning to drive a car require an immense amount of practice for you to get acclimated towards the prospect of being able to drive by yourself and amidst a terror of traffic. I remember practicing a lot before going to take my road test and heard many of my friends and family devote an intensive amount of time preparing for it! However, the road test is just one example as we are almost always brought to vicarious crossroads in our daily lives that require insurmountable amounts of practice to make everything perfect.

In other words, we have to be intrinsically motivated primarily in order to devote a significant time towards practice. Essentially, you have to be subconsciously driven to practice something that you want to gain advanced levels of insight in. Apart from studies, I devote time to enhancing and improving the versatility of my voice because I love to sing! As a matter of fact, I strive to practice the basic solfège — Do Re Mi Fa Sol — and the Indian classical sargam (solfège) — Sa Re Ga Ma Pa. Practicing these solfèges enables me to further increase the rhythmic tone of my vocal range and strengthen my pitch. In order to steadily become an expert at something, it is extremely vital that you begin learning and then teaching yourself the basic steps.

After all, nobody is a born singer or an expert in Organic Chemistry. As you grow, you will gently master the courage and stamina to acquaint yourself with many adventurous and sublime activities that you cannot survive without. This phase is deemed to be known as the awaited fruitful moment where your heavily grown interests take the shape of an unquenchable obsession. Once the unquenchable obsession kicks in, you will be even more intrinsically motivated to practice what you want to make perfect in your lifetime! Thus, the magical phrase: "Practice Makes Perfect" will provide you with a sense of direction in life!