Positivity And Negativity: How To Embrace Your New Year’s Resolution

Embrace both the New Year, and your inner angels and demons.

20

December 31st approaches and with it, 2017.

But a lot of people tend to fret because they feel as if they won’t live up to said resolution. This ends up working against them because the negative side ends up dominating. So here’s a way to embrace both the positive and negative sides of your mind and live up to your new year’s resolution properly:

The first step is to make a New Year’s Resolution.

This might surprise you, but make your resolution vague.

Here’s an example: Be more diligent.

Next step: think of ways that *insert vague resolution* can work into daily life.

Of course, diligent as a word means having and/or showing care in one’s work and/or duties. Synonyms include hard-working, industrious and the like.

So apply it to everything in your life; school, work, hobbies, or any new skills you might want to pick up. This way, not only do you start improving your work ethic, you start getting better at everything you do. The confidence that comes with is just a plus.

Though since I’m being honest, that’s all the preparation work. Now to tackle the hard part; the negative side. We’ve all been there. Something that suddenly happens and stops you from achieving it. There might be a time when you think you think you can’t do it. It could because of the way time flew by, or an event, big or small that has a huge impact on both body and mind. Unfortunately, I can’t predict the future, so I can’t tell you how to prevent it.

There’s only one phrase I can tell you; “Memory is the key.”

What does that mean? A memory, or maybe a few memories are the true glue to holding one’s resolution. Remember where you started, why you decided to work for a certain goal and how far you’ve come as of right now. That bright and humble beginning is what drives one forward, even to this rather cynic modern time.

Thus, it’s important to BALANCE the hope and positivity with the cynicism and negativity. You can start a new hobby and hope that one day, you’ll be an ace with it. Later, you might think it’s taking too long and it’s pointless to continue the effort.

Don’t let one overpower the other (yes, even the positive side); start the hobby and work towards that goal of being ace, but know that the path won’t be as perfect as you thought. And you can work around the delays and curveballs that life will throw your way.

This might not be the most conventional way to stay true to a New Year’s Resolution. Most people just say to not make one at all. And when it’s all said and done, this is just me telling readers that this works.

But as someone who lost his way, and is now back on the road to finding it; I know the struggle of trying to stay hopeful and persevering when the whole world seems to be against you. Trying to live up to a New Year’s Resolution is no exception.

But as someone who can relate to the journey of making their dreams come true as well as the fight against life’s curveballs, I’m asking you to not make the mistakes that I did. And wherever you are, I believe in you.

You got this. (And depending on when you read this, Happy New Year)