If You Still Care About 'Being Popular' As An Adult, Go Back To Middle School

This is the real world and it's time to stop trying to fit into that overrated cliché world.

76

We all remember those "popular kids" while we were growing up. They always seemed to have the newest clothes, best hair, flawless skin and the best social life.

Did you ever even stop to notice how they all blended together because they conformed to look so much alike in order to be on top?

I grew up as an outcast, gazing upon that table full of those kids just wishing I was a part of their group. Maybe I was just wishing I had somewhere that I felt like I belonged at the time or that much of a social life instead of spending almost every weekend alone in my room.

Looking back on it now, I realize exactly how dumb that envy really was.

I can see how great the friends I had were, and still are to this day, and how even though I wasn't at a constant slew of parties with underage drinking, my weekends were filled with inside jokes and movies with the best group of people. At least the friends I made back then are still around while I've watched the group of the "popular" kids disperse and not remain in each other's lives all these years later.

Over the last 10 years since I graduated, I've worked multiple jobs in different positions before becoming a stay at home mom. Throughout every job, there was always that clique of people that seemed to be known as the "popular" ones that everyone wants to be around.

I'm here to tell you that their life is really not any better than yours, they're just putting on a different face for the world to see.

In the real world of mature adults, no one cares what brand of clothes you're wearing, what kind of car you drive or what party you're going to this weekend. We are busy worrying about how we are going to pay the bills, get two kids to two different practices at the same time with one car, what meals we're going to cook that align with the time we have between other engagements and being successful at our jobs.

Financial stability and a happy home life are more important than hanging out with the "popular" crowd at work because they're likely blowing their money on the weekends and barely scraping by.

The gist of the real world is this: don't bother trying to fit in with the crowd everyone envies. Be yourself, and you'll be the most sought after friend in the room because people can trust and rely on you if you are truly being the best version of yourself.

If you feel like being fake and trying to be "popular," please go back to school and try again in a few years.

64.media.tumblr.com