The 'My Little Pony: The Movie' Official Trailer Drops

After seven seasons the award-winning reboot of "My Little Pony" is taking the big screen.

16
Hasbro / YouTube

So, the official movie trailer for the "My Little Pony" movie just dropped.

My initial reaction is that this is all some sort of hazy dream. That is partially because the animation style is so unlike the series. This is expected when a different budget and animation technique is used, though a difference in style is surely something the audience will get used to.

"My Little Pony" has been a casual yet consistent part of my fandom life. It's been watching episodes from the DVR that recorded while I'm away at college; It's watching hilarious parody YouTube channels from my phone on my bedroom floor in high school; It's been the show I'd sometimes wait for a season to end and watch in its entirety once it went onto Netflix.

This series is near and dear to my heart, but the thought of seeing it on the big screen is just so unlike any of the typical "My Little Pony" experiences.

That isn't to say this film won't be successful. The film is directed by Jayson Thiessen and written by Meghan McCarthy, both having worked on the Hasbo series. We even still have Daniel Ingram, our usual songwriter, and the original voice actresses of the Mane Six (and Spike). In addition, some new characters will be played by bigger celebrity names such as Kristin Chenoweth, Emily Blunt, Sia and Uzo Aduba.

It's difficult to not be reminded of the first SpongeBob movie which was my – and likely our entire generation's – first experience of having a beloved TV show take a swing at the format. I do recall enjoying the film in elementary school, though. I can vouch for the film having its merits through adult eyes as well, after re-watching it with my nephew a year-or-so ago. There's nothing to say "My Little Pony" won't make this transition well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the film is not meant for the adult fan following. It's going to be for the kids. If we like the movie, fantastic. If the kids like it? It's more of a measurable success. I know that adults are going to see the film in swaths, but something in my gut tells me what will make or break the box office is how many kids drag their families to the theater.

After watching the trailer a few times, and getting used to both the animation format and the idea of the film exiting, I can say it looks like it could be really good. The villain has a great design, and some visuals look spectacular.

It appears the Mane Six will be travelling and meeting new characters in a captivating way that goes beyond what's been done before in the show.

The film is set to hit theaters on October 6th, and I hope see audiences full of every age group there.