Poetry On Odyssey: Society Says Suck It Up

The greatest lost to society is trying to fit in.

25
Via Unsplash

I have convinced myself that I like being alone.

I have convinced myself that not having someone to confide in is completely Ok.

Because there are so many people who have greater issues than mine own.

Society says: it's better to bury the negative emotions.

There's no room for anger or sadness.

So when that dark cloud lingers over your head top, ignore it.

Because God forbid someone knows how you really feel.

Don't cry.
Suck it up.
You can't let them see how weak you are.
You will always be the second choice.
Stop trying.

No matter how hard I try to escape, this voice will always somehow find its way to communicate with me. Eventually, it takes over, dismantling the peace I once had.

You're not worth it.
You can't escape who you really are.
Give up.
Stop trying.

But you see, sometimes you can block out this voice. I am able to go days, weeks even, free from this voice. There aren’t any doubts swarming around in my conscientious. Or overthinking.

I’m able to go out with friends, smile, and laugh.

But some days, it becomes too empowering to ignore. And when that happens, I stay in bed all day. Left alone to deal with all these ideas and thoughts.
Eventually, they will have consumed me, casting a shadow of gloom over me.

Society says: Don't cry. Suck it up. You can't let them see how weak you are.

The next day, as I walk, my body is numb and my legs are limp. I'm a robot robbed of any emotional response. I can't allow this part of myself to be discovered. They won't understand, it's beyond their simplistic ways of thinking. Because as humans we were taught to always put ourselves first.

But I will not allow that to change the nature of my character. I have learned to embrace the bad and the good that occurs in life. Without obstacles, we wouldn't be the person who we are. Everything that life throws at us, molds us into the human being we are today. Nothing in life comes easy.

Close your eyes.

Take a deep breath.

If it did, we wouldn’t be the person we are today. All the pain and hardships we’ve endured have molded us into the individual we’ve become, which a lot of us has failed to come to the realization. Everything happens for a reason. It’s up to us to determine if we are going to let our circumstances define who we are.

Society says: Take a couple drinks to take the edge off.

But we shouldn’t have hide how we feel. Our human dynamic is solely based on our emotions. Our emotions drive us to make decisions no matter the level of its significance. The negative emotions are just as important as the positive emotions. You shouldn’t have to deny yourself of living your life to make other people comfortable. The greatest loss to society is trying to be like everyone else.