My Chance At Life

Poetry On Odyssey: My Chance At Life

You say everyone deserves a chance at life. Well, what about MY chance at a healthy, safe life?

182
Poetry On Odyssey: My Chance At Life

Globally, a leading cause of death for teenagers

Is maternal death.

I am ten.

My uncle held me down.

Told me to be quiet around town.

If I wasn't, I would drown.

One day I missed my period

Then suddenly he wasn't around.

You want my fetus to live

Even if the fetus conceived through force or manipulation

Because everyone has a chance at life, you say.

But what about my chance at life?

My fetus isn't already obtaining an education

Or working on addition and subtraction.

My fetus doesn't have a mind whose mental health needs to be maintained

Or a pelvic floor that is still developing and could be damaged if they give birth

My fetus isn't working two jobs to support only one child like my mother is

Or praying every night the car won't break down because she can't afford to fix it and she needs it to get to work in the first place

My fetus does not have friends who will miss them

Or a mother who will cry every single night because she wouldn't be able to sing a lullaby to them

My fetus does not have an imaginary friend who will never be played with again

Or a sack of lunch in the fridge for tomorrow that wouldn't get eaten

My fetus does not have toys laying around to be played with all day that wouldn't get touched again

Or teachers that look forward to hearing its goofy jokes each day that would never be told again

My fetus does not hope for a new coloring book

Or have paint hidden in mom's closet waiting to opened the on Christmas

My fetus does not hope to be a ballerina one day

Or to find a cute boy and get married

My fetus does not look forward to horseback riding tomorrow with their three best friends

Or dream of owning a stable one day

I DO.

I have or do all of those things.

And my mental health, relationships, financial stability, development, physical health, childhood, and education

MATTER.

Is maternal death.

I am ten.

Only ten.

And I should not be worrying about my mental health, my relationships, my financial stability, my development, my physical health, my childhood or my education

I am already dealing with the trauma of sexual assault.

Do not put me through the trauma of pregnancy and child birthing as a ten year old

My fetus-I will abort it.

Because I deserve a chance at life.