6 Poetry Books For Struggling Teens

6 Poetry Books For Struggling Teens

These poetry books may help you feel like you're not alone.

531
6 Poetry Books For Struggling Teens

We're all struggling. Some of us, more than others, are struggling with things big and small. What I've found that helps most when I'm struggling with something is knowing that someone else feels or has felt the same way.

I've always had an affinity for poetry, but it wasn't until I was going through a rough period in my life that I realized that poetry meant so much more to me than just words on a page. I stumbled across a few poems that were eerily relatable to what I was going through. After that, I found myself actively seeking out poems and poets that wrote about stuff that related to me, just so I could feel less alone in what I was feeling.

These are a few poetry books I've found that have helped me through some times of struggle.

1. Depression and Other Magic Tricks

-Sabrina Benaim

This book covers so many topics through poetry, from mental health issues to body image to love. I was able to relate to some things the author said, and it helped me understand my thoughts and my own mind a little bit more.

2. Our Numbered Days

-Neil Hilborn

This author writes such moving, descriptive poetry. As a reader, you instantly feel connected to what he writes, and he approaches many difficult topics with a strong voice of experience.

3. Black Butterfly

-Robert M. Drake

I first discovered this poet through social media and I instantly fell in love with his style of writing. The poems in this books are regretful and hopeful at the same time, and I encourage you to read them, especially if you're at a point of change or transformation in your life.

4. Chasers of the Light

-Tyler Knott Gregson

The poems in this book are typewritten, which helps set it apart in my mind from other poetry books. This book is filled with words about love, and the poetry tells stories of all of the ups and downs and different sides of love and relationships.

5. Storyteller: 100 Poem Letters

-Morgan Harper Nichols

This book of poetry is extraordinarily hopeful, and the words written by Morgan Harper Nichols are unique because she writes as if she knows exactly what you're going through. There is a mixture of happiness and sadness and everything in between in this book, and overall you're left feeling inspired by everything you've read.

6. BRANCHES

-Rhiannon McGavin

This book is another example of a unique approach to poetry. This collection of poems strikes me as written specifically for teens and young adults. It's raw and honest and she doesn't hold back, which to me is exactly what poetry should be.

These are only a small handful of the wonderful collections of poetry I've come across and been able to relate so strongly to. Poetry is such an important part of art and culture, and it can evoke feelings of everything from anger to inspiration. It is such a great way to not only express yourself but to connect with other people who may otherwise feel like they're alone in their situations.

From Your Site Articles