I'm A Girl And I Have No Idea How To Do My Makeup

It's all fun and games until you actually have to apply it.

556
Cosmopolitan

Let me start off by saying I wear three makeup products regularly (and that's when I even put on makeup): concealer, a powder foundation (which I'm not even sure what it does) and mascara. On a big night, I'll add some eyeliner to my top lid and a lipstick, but that's rare. I honestly think it's amazing when people can do makeup and know what to apply and when. I buy kits in hopes of becoming like them but legit cannot figure anything out.

So here's what myself and maybe some others who don't wear much makeup think about these makeup terms:

Highlighter:

What does it do? Is it just for your cheeks? Where does it go and how much do I apply? I think it's to bring out certain aspects on your face like your cheek bones, but I always thought no one wanted to look shiny. I might be wrong, but this is definitely something that I would only let a pro apply. Also, when it comes to this product, the only thing I know, is the chick in the gif has it wrong.

Contouring (this one is two-fold):

1. How do you even know where to put what colors, how to apply them, and how do you even blend all of those things? I don't know how anyone puts the color pink or green or anything on their face and make it look good at the end? It's legit magic.

2. Personally, as shown above, I think the before looks great! I see the highlighted cheekbone and overall more tanned look in the after, but when I think of contouring, I just think of adding way too much foundation and everything to any face that's already pretty. Does your skin feel heavy after putting all that on? I need to know

Eye Shadows:

I personally mess up even the eye shadow kits that have step by step instructions on the back as to where to put what colors. How do you know what colors to blend together?! How to you know if it's too dark for your skin or too light? Can you just put on one color? I have so many questions.

Blush:

Is it still a thing? Or is it not a thing? I haven't heard of anyone using it in a while and again: how do you know what colors to use and what looks good with your skin? Is it just light highlighter for your cheekbone? I don't want to look like a porcelain doll so I avoid this at all costs.

Fake Eyelashes:

Here's one that I have always wanted to try but have never had the guts to. Why? Because apparently, you have to put glue on your eye? What if the glue gets in your eye? What if the lashes don't come off? Also, I hear they can be annoying if you aren't a veteran in wearing these bad boys. How annoying is annoying? 'Cause I wear contacts and can't even handle a little dust in my eye so I'm not sure I can handle something attached to my eye that's considered annoying.

Brows:

So many girls KILL the eyebrow game and let me be the first to say how jelly I am of them. I don't do anything to my eyebrows, as I've never even gotten them waxed/plucked so here's my question: how do you do them?! I bought one of those little kits to make mine look better and I go from normal to "Oscar the Grouch" brow in two minutes.

All in all, makeup queens and kings, teach me your ways.