Open Letter to the Student Who Works too Hard

Or a student like me

65
Flickr

Dear Student,

Since I only have one more semester left (after this one ends), I have been doing a lot of thinking about college and the things I would do differently the second time around. There's not a lot, but what there is happens to be important so stay with me.

First off, remember that studying is important. BUT it's not the only thing. Sometimes it's okay to still be a kid. You can still go out with friends. You can stay up late. You don't have to always be ahead in your homework and classes. There are times when it's more important to talk to someone than it is to get an A on an assignment.

Secondly, college activities are great. I spent too much time not going to events on campus. I would stay in my room and work ahead or watch Netflix or nap rather than going to things on campus. Looking back I have no idea why I ever did those things instead of activities, but I did. Go out and do things.

Thirdly, remember that grades don't make or break your college experience. After college no on looks at what grade you got in whatever class. Sometimes bad grades happen. It's not the end of everything. It's nothing you can't recover from.

Fourthly, don't let people make you feel bad for staying in. I know, I know. It's easy to let people make you feel bad, but don't. You are driven which is good. Balance is good. You can't go out all the time and expect to get good grades. You can do some of both and still get good grades.

Fifth, take some time for you. People will always want your attention or want more from you. Including classes. It's okay to take a step back and give yourself one night. It's just a few hours and it's worth it.

Love,

The biggest stressor of you all