An Open Letter To Rising Freshmen

An Open Letter To Rising Freshmen

23
An Open Letter To Rising Freshmen

Dear rising freshmen,

Right now is arguably one of the most exciting times of your life. You just graduated high school and are ready for what's supposed to be the best four years of your life. The summer before your first year of college is a split in between "I never want to grow up and leave my friends" and "get me to school already." I'm sure you've heard this many times before, but truly cherish this last summer home, because for all you know it really could be your last summer in your hometown.

College is new. College is fun. But college is also hard. You probably worked hard to get into said college, but everyone forgets that you have to work even harder when you're actually there to maintain average grades. Suddenly you're surrounded by kids just as smart, if not smarter than you, and competition is as stiff as ever. Learn how to study again after slacking off senior year, and learn how to truly learn and not just memorize.

Work hard, but also make time for a social life. You only get one first year of college, and most likely you will spend the next four years with the friends you make your first year. Don't spend all your time wrapped up in school or wrapped up with your friends back home or you won't have a chance to make new ones. Remember, you most likely won't magically find your best friends the first week of school. Friendships take time, be patient and everything will fall in place. Best friends aren't made overnight.

On the flip side, once you make all these new friends, don't forget your old friends. Make time to call your friends from home and keep up with each other, even if it's just once a month. It's always good to have a third party opinion about your problems at school and an old friend to talk to about life.

Call your mom. The child she raised for eighteen years moved out of the house, and I'm sure there's nothing she would love more than a phone call. Call her when you walk to class, it's quick, easy, and doesn't take time out of your day.

College is busy. If you're not doing anything, you always feel like you should be. You're around people constantly, because you live with someone else and there is constant activity surrounding you. Always have some alone time every now and then, watch some Netflix alone, go on a run, anything.

Don't forget why you're at school-- to get a degree. The academic transition from high school to college is a tough one and time management is a whole new ball game in college, but above all else make sure you're doing alright in your classes. Go to class. Even if you got no sleep last night and know you won't pay attention, go anyways. Sitting there half awake or on your phone will help more than sleeping through your alarm clock. You never know how important that day of class could be. Make friends in your classes at the very beginning. It always helps to have someone to study with, compare notes, and send you the important stuff for when you really just cannot make it out of bed.

Your first year of college will be a blast, just give it sometime for everything to fall in place. Be patient and figure things out. This is unlike anything you have ever experienced before and things will probably not go as you expect, but just go with the flow and your first year is bound to be unforgettable.