An Open Letter To My Mom After The Election Results

"Should my daughter be afraid because she doesn't know who around her supported Trump?"

17
Creative Commons

Mamá,

I know you're scared. If I'm being totally honest, we all are. We never thought this day would come, yet here we are.

The land of the free will be ruled by hate. It doesn't matter how people justify it, he has always represented hate. I understand that you're very worried but I just want to let you know that I will be okay.

I will not let him or his ideals change who I am as a person. I know that it's scary to think that I attend the university where he invited people to use the second amendment against Hillary. Pero mamá, we'll get through this.

While it has been terrifying, I've found people here who actually realize the importance of this. I've found people who always take care of each other and I'm not only talking about my close friends. All around campus, there are staff members who support us. No estamos solos (we are not alone), and I refuse to give fear the power to control us. Today more than ever, we stand together. We are very lucky to have each other and we will not accept defeat.

Minorities are a very important part of UNCW and we are here to stay. Some of us still don't understand how people can support everything he stands for. Honestly, you're right, we don't know who around us supported him and his hate against us. Most of us work with them. We certainly go to class with them. Some of us even live with them, but it's okay.

This is not a time to fear, it is time to fight for our rights. Pero mamá, I will be okay. I might've moved away to college on my own, but I do not stand alone.

Te amo,

D