An Open Letter To The Lost Soul

An Open Letter To The Lost Soul

We're both a little lost.

98
An Open Letter To The Lost Soul
Kateri Hartman

Have you been down to the harbor lately? It looks much different since you left. The trees are not quite as green. The trees may not be quite as green, but the world is so much brighter. I hope you don’t take this personally. The fish, they swim a little faster, and are caught less often. The children, they play slightly longer.

The sun sets later, and rises earlier. Sometimes I wonder if you’re watching the sunset too. I sit on the bench we used to sit on, right behind my old parked car. The blue one, that had no radio, that never played the song we wrote. The Mystique was full of our mysteries, the one that no one else will ever know. You see, they talk like they know about us. They talk and they judge who we are, what we were. They will never know about that night. They will never know about the night that you let me sit and cry in the street lights as it was pouring rain outside.

They will never know how terrified you were to lose me, how I always knew I would lose you, or how we ended up being the cause of the loss of each other. I tell myself that it is all for the better. There were hundreds of reasons why you weren’t good for me, or why we would never work. In another life, we could be one of those couples that pushes through everything for love. I never really loved you. At least, not in the way that the word is usually used. I have a lot of love in my heart for a lot of people and I really sincerely care, but I never loved you in the way that you loved me. I’m sorry for that. I’d rather not apologize because, well, you’ve done some pretty horrible things, but sometimes the strength is in the sorry. Anyway, the harbor is grey today. One of the boats crashed and I really hope everyone involved is okay. I was wandering by on my way to the science lab and I witnessed some pretty terrifying scenes.

There was this old man, with a white beard, and the wrinkles on his face were reminiscent of the 100 years he has lived. As the boat crashed, so did his life. He screamed with his shaky lungs as he went overboard. I hope he is doing okay. I hope you are doing okay too. The harbor is not the same without you, but it is good. I have found a new harbor, a new boat, a new home. Thank you for being a part of my old harbor. May new horizons bring you happiness.