I've Learned A Lot After Writing For Odyssey For One Year

It's truly been an experience and I am so grateful for it.

53

On April 5, 2018, I received an Instagram DM asking if I would be interested in writing for the Odyssey through the University of Delaware. After having just recently committed to the school and finally putting UD'22 in my bio, it's safe to say I was excited. My sister had written for the Odyssey her whole four years of college and I knew how much she loved it, so I thought that I would like it too.

I remember being so nervous writing and submitting my first article, having no idea what I was doing and never having written anything outside being in school. I received so much support from everyone involved in the Odyssey and my family, who shared my first article, which was pretty shitty.

In my opinion, I've grown so much as a writer. When I first began, I was a senior in high school, had never been away from home, and hadn't really experienced much outside my home town. Now, I'm in my second semester of college, someone who's experienced both the good and bad aspects of college. I'm now someone who would rather write about real world issues and what goes on in my life, rather than write a listicle about what movies on Netflix are the best.

I've had so much support and encouragement from everyone around me. I've had my friends come up to me and tell me that they've read my article, and it warms my heart every time. Knowing that not just my parents, who basically have to read and share my articles, are reading and enjoying my content. It makes having to fit writing an article into my already busy schedule worth it.

I plan to continue to write my articles each week and I plan on enjoying every minute of it.