It's Been 1 Year Since I Started Writing For Odyssey

It's Been 1 Year Since I Started Writing For Odyssey And I Can't Believe It

How did 52 weeks pass so quickly?

89
Odyssey
Shivasuryan Vummidi

Writing has always been an integral part of my being since high school; I enjoy narrating about aspects of my life and conveying how I see the world to other people. The Internet has become a safe haven for publishing my views and obtaining an audience wider than I could ever know. Part of the safe haven is Odyssey itself, as for the past year it has been an amazing platform where I could create content for that purpose! It's been a long journey, and I'm proud of how it has helped shape me as I grow into adulthood.

I published my first Odyssey article on May 13, 2018, titled, "Why I Love Organic Chemistry." I wrote this article during my senior year of high school, almost as soon as I committed to Stony Brook. I began to get set on creating as many articles as I could, thinking of ideas and powering through the extreme phases of writer's block. I wanted to enhance my writing and make it stand out — it's just as much an art as it is a science. I feel that the more I write, the better I get at it, kind of like exercising a muscle or practicing math problems.

In a way, Odyssey symbolizes my transition from high school to college. I'm no longer the Shiva who was dejected from being rejected by half the colleges he applied to. I've transformed into a Shiva who uses writing as a way to reflect on the past to help prepare himself for the tomorrow. I no longer dwell on my past failures nearly as much as I used to. I've become more academically focused but at the same time more lenient if I just miss the mark. My personality radically shifted and I can attribute that to the different types of articles I've written.

The past 52 articles that I have written and sent in for review have become a diary of sorts, recording my various (mis)adventures and explaining what I've learned from them. I plan to treasure these, as a portfolio of my own, to showcase my strong commitment to writing despite my biochemistry major and my focus on securing admission to medical schools.

I'd like to thank Odyssey for giving me the gift of freedom of expression and a nationwide audience that no other platform has yet to provide. I truly enjoy writing here, and I would be absolutely thrilled to write for the rest of my four years (three now!) in college. Odyssey, here's to more years of memes, chemistry, jokes, poems, musings, diary entries, advice, and just about everything else!